Squirrel Hunting???

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Sep 29, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I just never developed a taste for tree rat. Even when I was still hunting, I always gave them away.

fanatic likes this.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Same here. I know coon asses will hunt and eat anything, but I always thought that eating squirrels was kind of Beverly Hillbilly-ish. No offense intended to anyone. My grandfather used to hunt squirrel and I have eaten it before, but I pretty much puked it right back up. Not because it tasted bad, but because I knew it was squirrel. Had I not known what it was, I may have liked it.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My kids have had it many times in gumbo. I just forgot to tell them it was in there.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well I figured if I said cell phone I'd have a lot of posts about "how to".

I never craved them but like them every once and a while. Good dark meat.

KyleK likes this.
  5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Yep, that's the way to do it. Even if something tastes good, if it's something I don't want to eat, I'll automatically dislike it.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I use those big snap rat traps to harvest squirrels out my yard. After the first frost any rabbit, coon, or possum that comes in my yard in the daylight hours is in danger of ending up in the pot. I m a pretty good shot with my benjamin pump. I've been cleaning up on the doves in my back yard. Yesterday I shot 5 before they even fgured ou I was shooting at them.

Cajun Sensation and LSUTiga like this.
  7. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I've never had coon or possum. I have so many coons in my yard you can hear them raising hell at night. They fight and hoot and holler all night. What's weird is the feral cats and the coons are friends. Also, neither one really fuck with the family of wild chickens/roosters that live in the woods behind my house. I've seen that rooster fuck a feral cat UP.

Anyways, how do you cook the coon? Possum?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's usually best to give them to somebody named Alphonse or Muddy. Then they will bring you fresh greens and plums in the summertime. Barter system at its best. It's almost like hunting for your vegetables.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  9. LSUsupaFan

My late grandfather was an Alphonse.

10. LSUsupaFan

Coon is kind of a pain in the ass to deal with because it is a very oily meat, they have a lot of fat, and they have huge musk glands. If you fuck up the removal you will be in for an awful meal.

With coon the way to go is low and slow. I like to stuff them with mushrooms, onions, and garlic, and do them in the big green egg on like 275 for 8 hours or so. Sometimes I stew them in some red wine with herbs and spices.

My grandfather used to make coon balls. He would trim the fat, and remove the glands then boil them for a few minutes. He would then debone it, run it through the hamburger maker, and make little coon meatballs which he would mix with cut onions, bellpeppers, and garlic. Next he would run them through and egg wash, coat them with seasoned flour, and deep fry them. that was good eating, but I can never get it right.

Possum is much easier to deal with. The only way I have ever had them is in a stew. I brown them on a hot skillet, then put them in the slow cooker. I cut up some potatoes, and carrots, and onion, garlic, and bell pepper then I poor a can of beer and a can of cambell's french onion soup in there, and let it stew all day.

KyleK and Cajun Sensation like this.