Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by HatcherTiger, Jun 14, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I kinda like this poem as well:

Preamble to the U.S. Declaration of Independence, 1776

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i was talking about the anthem. not sure if you know this, but the anthem and the country are not the same thing. you can, yunno, like one and not the other. my preference for the music in the russian anthem is a statement about music, not national pride or something else stupid.

i should note that o canada is actually worse than the star spangled banner.

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Seriously you think this:
    Is better than this?
    Or do you think the tune is catchier?

4. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

I have heard them, and most of the time we hear them they are a recording of a professional choir with an amazing arrangement. Those choirs are amazing and they sing their anthems very well. In my opinion, ours sounds amazing as well when it is done with a professional choir and good arrangement. However, most of the time when we hear ours, it is done as a solo and many times people take their own liberty with it trying to be unique. I cringe many times when I hear it before a sporting event because they don't sound that good when they do it.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

here's a thought:
    start pre-game a whopping 6 minutes earlier.

i'm confident that once the word spreads, the crowd will be in their seats in time, and will memorize the extra verses.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

well, the star spangled banner makes no sense, it is about a battle that has nothing to do with anything. at least the other anthems mostly speak about the nation or something. ours is ramblinng on about rockets and bombs giving proof through the night. without the backstory it is just random junk.

and yes the tune for ours is terrible and way too hard to sing and generally too flashy and all around crap.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

They can put the words on the screen in the stadium. If you recall thats how we all "learned" the words to the entire LSU alma mater, we used to only sing one verse. As far as timing, sing the whole song at half time but sing the whole darn song!

8. Tigerbnd05

I understand your point, but pregame start time is based on any pregame presentations they make(guest captains etc.) and that is based on when the teams leave the field after warm-ups and so on down the line. The teams have a schedule based off of the tv kickoff time frame. They are not going to change the whole schedule to add additional verses of the National Anthem when it is tradition across the nation that we only sing/play one verse.

9. Tigerbnd05

they still don't put up the correct words to one of the verses of the alma mater... Do you think they will get all of the words to the verses right for the SPB?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The lyrics are just fine, it is the music that sucks. It is difficult for the average person to sing a song with a range of 1 and a half octaves. It is almost impossible to find a key that allows multiple people to sing it in tune.

America The Beautiful would have been far better. Moving lyrics and an elegant melody.