Starting Rotation for the tournament

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUweezie, May 30, 2005.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Game 1 - Mestepey
    Game 2 - Smith
    Game 3 - Dirks

I would start Meier in Game 1, but I think Smoke will stick with Mestepey. Determann is too valuable in the bullpen to start him in Game 1 ... I'd pitch him only if needed to close out Game 1. I'm not fond of starting English or Ramirez since they never started in a big game before. I'd keep them in the bullpen.

2. Soap

Soap Founding Member

I would personally start determan. He has the shortest recovery time and if Marist is a push over he'll be out by the 5th.

3. TigerWins

If he pitches 5 innings or so on Friday, he'll definately be out for Saturday. Saturday is the only day of the tourney where you can possibly play 2 games. I'd rather have him available on Saturday.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Lane can handle Marist.

YA GOTTA BELIEVE.

5. TomE

TomE Founding Member

Except in Omha one will probably have to start, either them or Mier so why not let them do it now

6. TigerWins

Looks like Meier may get the start Friday and Smith may start game 2...

LSU baseball coach Smoke Laval was vague Monday about his pitching plans for the regional this weekend, but pitching coach Brady Wiederhold said the probable starter for the first-round game Friday is junior right-hander Justin Meier.

"We're talking about Justin being the guy to lead it off, and then it just kind of depends after that," Wiederhold said. "We're still gathering information on the teams."

The Tigers will open the regional against Marist at 1 p.m. Friday. Northwestern State will play Rice at 6 p.m.

The two winners will play at 6 p.m. Saturday. Wiederhold said LSU junior left-hander Greg Smith could start that game.

"We've talked about having him in that position, with that being kind of a swing game," he said. "I'd say he's the probable Game 2 starter, but it's not definite. You don't know who you're going to play."

The Advocate