State of the Union Speech

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Let me say 1st that I'm a republican.

I thought Reagan did a great job, the 1st Bush did an ok job.

I didn't like the Clintons or anyone associated with them.

I think that this Bush has done a better job than his dad.

What are you guys thoughts about this coming election?

Did you guys think anything in the speach was a good idea?

Do we feel safe with a Dem in charge of the war on terror and
    the military?

What do you guys think about the patriot act?

I hear how it really infringes on out rights and that bothers me a
    little bit.

But

I don't have anything to worry about because I don't break the law?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

btw,

What is an invisible tax increase?

3. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I'd guess an invisible tax increase is higher interest rates?
    I didn't listen to the speech, just heard snippets afterwards.
    I enjoy the A&E program "Cold Case Files". I watched that instead.
    Overall I'd grade Bush as a C+.
    I think he and his predecessors have sold the average working family, I know thats a very broad term but I'll use it freely, down the river. or across the river as the case might be.
    I believe we are making a huge mistake not protecting our manufacturing base. Not everyone can be a salesman or a financial market player. Some people are meant to work with their hands, and that's not a bad thing.
    I do agree with Bush on the Gay Marriage thing.
    The snippet I heard on that wasn't strong enough for my tastes.
    I don't think he has a good tax policy.
    Our tax policy should be directed towards the middle class. Not the upper class and the poor like it is. The upper class can always find ways to avoid taxes and the poor don't pay them anyway. Its the broad middle class that supports both ends.
    I think the Democrats are making a huge mistake embracing the gay agenda. I like them on economic policy, but can't stomach their coddling of the gay agenda.
    I never understand what people mean when they say radical or extreme.
    Of the major candidates in both parties, I don't consider any to be extreme or radical unless you factor in some support for gay marriages.
    I read the comments after Bush's speech from some Democrats who used those terms, radical and extreme, I wish the reporter would have followed up and asked them specifically what they mean by radical and extreme?
    I'm not a Bush admirer by any means, but he's far from radical or extreme.

4. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

I think (as does Ed Gillespie) that Bush wins a close one in the fall. 52% of the vote went to Gore or Nader last time, and I wouldn't count on seeing too many of those voting for W. this time around.

My main thought about the SOTU was who's going to pay for all these programs. My guess is an invisible tax increase means the taxpayers ultimately have to foot the bill for this spendthrift administration. Tax cuts now just mean we pay later, plus interest.

I don't feel any more or less safe based on the letter after the President's name. That would be foolish. The bad guys are going to get us again sooner or later. And neither Bush nor any of the Democrats are willing to win the war on terror at all costs. The Dems are more worried about protecting ANWR than protecting us, and Bush is more concerned with protecting the Saudis, Jeb's political career, and his friends in Big Oil.

5. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

The Republican plan is to end overtime pay for perhaps 10 million Americans so companies like Wal-Mart, McDonald's and other huge corporations can work people 60 hours a week at minimum wage straight time.

The Republican plan is to roll back pollution laws and to stop protecting the environment. The oil and chemical companies want this so they get it.

The Republican plan is to give rich people huge tax cuts and pay for those tax cuts by borrowing money and putting America into further hopeless debt.

The Republican plan is to bring in many more foreign workers to keep wages low, unemployment relatively high, and to weaken labor unions.

The prime consideration of the Republican Party on healthcare is to protect the profits of the drug companies and huge healthcare companies. The throw whatever bones they need to to desperate elderly patients to get re-elected.

The Republican plan is to give America to the Fortune 500 and tell people it is in their interests. The Republican Party is bought and paid for. Now it is selling out common working people in America.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

They're lucky to have a job given they have no skills.
    Are you sitting in a heated house and writing this on a computer powered by electricity. Do you see any trees with oil growing on them?
    I get a tax cut and I'm far from rich. The economy is flourishing.
    If we close our borders you liberals b*tch. Fruit pickers ain't unionized.
    If Healthcare Corportations and pharmaceutical manufacturers don't profit, they either shut down or curtail research. Where does that leave us? This is not a big charity.
    I am a common working man employed by a Fortune 500 company. I think the current administration is serving my interests just fine, thank you.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Social issues like abortion and gay marriage are distractions that I don't really want a president to get caught up with. I want a president to maintain a strong military and a steady foreign policy, which Bush has done well. But I also want him to pursue a sound economic policy and I just don't see it happening.

When I spend more money than I bring in, I'm being irresponsible. Why doesn't it work that way for the president?

Our national debt is skyrocketing due to major tax cuts while, at the same time, the administration adds new, unfunded programs and engages in expensive wars and reconstructions. Bush did not address this in the speech.

8. Bestbank Tiger

That's OK...they'll do whatever it takes to put Jeb in the White House in 2008. Then they'll Whip Inflation Now!!

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Frankly, this is a concern of mine as well but I'm patient enough to wait and see how it works out. I'm sure the administration has a long range plan. It may not be a good one, but a plan nevertheless. It's Bush's job to figure it all out, not mine.

10. Bestbank Tiger

Last time we cut taxes, raised spending, established new programs, and engaged in a major war effort, we created an economic disaster.