States petition to secede from union

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Yeah definitely. And by the way, Louisiana has over 29,000 signatures....

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...ca-and-create-its-own-new-government/1wrvtngl

I never post on Facebook but I thought about posting that if you signed this petition please defriend me as you are to stupid to be in my presence.

It's not stupid in the sense that if you don't like your government and you legitimately want to be out, but the problem is these idiots signing these things really don't want to secede or wouldn't want to if you explained to them what they would go without.

I understand they're just trying to make a point but it's a stupid point. And it makes you look foolish.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

Te war wasn't about slavery. Even Lincoln didn't care much about it. If he were alive today he would be considered a crushing racist. He really only opposed slavery because the north was getting their ass kicked and thought they might need the Brits help, and the Brits opposed slavery.

At any rate, slavery was doomed regardless of the war.

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

We'd have cheap gas again. lol

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I say let the red states leave, I'll just move to a blue one, hell Texas will be blue before too long anyway, so I'm good. But I think people must admit to themselves that if Obama was named Jerry Smith and was white they wouldn't have near the issue they have now. In fact I hope the next president is a gay Mexican woman just so I can watch people's heads explode from fury.

HalloweenRun and Tiger in NC like this.
  5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

bull shit. the war was about slavery and any attempt to redefine it now is purely political.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

It wasnt. Looking back it is lovely to oai t this as a war with the holy north and their human rights loving abollishinists. Thats bullshit.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Bull shit Martin. The war was only about slavery. States rights was the cover. The founding fathers (including the southerners) knew slavery was wrong but couldn't figure a way out. They thought it would die but Eli Whitney's cotton gin changed everything. In the 1830's the southern leadership (JC Calhoun of SC) decided to be aggressive about it and began to push for expansion. This led to hardening of positions then the Northern church led abolution movement to it to new levels. Two groups fanning the flames ONLY because of slavery brought the war on us.

This is a simple review but the facts are there. Slavery was not doomed because it was thought to be the key to successful cotton economy. Every southerner wanted a slave as it was a status symbol of success. The southern leaders feared the population growth in the free states would threaten their position so they pursued expansion as protection.

Now as the war progressed if the south had remained seperate slavery may have been doomed as the costs and sacrifices of the war was leadingt that way. Had the war not been fought slavery would have existed for a very long time.

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

The succession movement shows how out of touch with reality the far right is. I am a conservative and was very much against the election of BHO. However the actions being talked about here are so antithical to the foundations of this country as to be treason. We are founded on the exchange of government by election and peaceful succession. If you can't live with the thought of BHO as president then you should have done a better job in this campaign. It is up to the loyal opposition to figure out a path to have its ideas be the ones the voters choose.
    GROW UP and act like adults not 2 year olds!

Cajun Sensation and Tiger in NC like this.
  9. Tiger in NC

well said, Winston.

10. Tiger in NC

Again, well said Winston. I am very sincere when I say that I hope that the Republicans can have a resurgence as a more mainstream party. The hard right turn has turned off Independents like me (hell, I almost feel like a democrat now because it's been so long) who voted for GWBush twice and Bob Dole once. If they do this I will give them another look during the next election.

Further, we need more people like Winston who understand that the most important speech on election night is given by the loser. The peaceful transfer of power is a hallmark of our democracy and what makes us special. I realize that this has been a touchy election for a lot of people but if we are going to solve our fiscal problems it will require compliance and compromise from both parties. I am beginning to hear the Dems whine about Obama giving up too much in the fiscal cliff talks and frankly it makes me want to slap the shit out of them. To those who insist upon holding the ideologic line, well, they simply do not understand the severity of our circumstances or the consequences of not acting. There has been some toned down talk lately and I am hopeful that it is indicative of a renewed spirit of bipartisanship........at least for a little while.

Cajun Sensation and Winston1 like this.