Stay or Go thread...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 16, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I could see both of the Jalens in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, an they might be gone by the third. Remember Mills played CB and Safety, these are two of the more needed positions in the NFL. Mills does as good a job in getting to the ball. He's very good in space.
    Collins is a tall one playing CB, an with so many teams having the tall WR's that ups his stock.

Hunter may go in the 2nd, maybe earlier than most think. He could play OLB like Mingo. He covers the field, an gets to the ball. A 3-4 team looking for a Mingo type, you bet.

K Alexander, injury bug has had him over the years. Teams look at this, do I draft a guy and not have him for games? He still needs work, but some team could fall in love with him, an who knows.

Last, OL. Hawk and Alexander. Grimes will do his best recruiting this year trying to keep these 2. Remember Hawk was the one talking to La'el, telling him to stay. Does he follow up his talk? I know this, if Hawk comes back, he'll see himself with a good shot in the first round. He comes back and moves to the other side, LOT in the NFL gets the cash. He is more athletic than La'el, Hawk played 4 sports in high school, an did well in all. One more year with Grimes, look out.
    Vadal, he too I'd like to see return, remember he played the ROT position before, an could play it again. He needs to learn to say No, when asked if he wants seconds, his weight in the 320's would be so much better for him. If he and Hawk would return, the line would be so much better. If only one stays, I'd take the Hawk. Vadal playing the OT position again helps him in the Pros.

As with any draft, numbers at a certain position comes into play. Who comes out early can change up a draft. Team needs, too many things come into play. As we get closer, we will get a better feel for players.

La'el won't have to wait long to hear his name called. Ronald Martin at 6'2" 220lbs is one to keep an eye on. A good size and another athletic guy. Had a good season. An you know how teams like the LSU DB's.

Sorry, a little long.

TigerTap likes this.
  2. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

I'm sure they also see the success that former players like Jeremy Hill and Odelle Beckham are having in the NFL and feel like they too could breakout.

TigerTap and LSUDad like this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Agree, you look at the players like Ron Brooks, didn't start but 3 games his Sr year but gets drafted, an is still playing in the NFL. Danny McCray, undrafted out of LSU, still playing in the NFL. Or like I said, from last years draft class James Wright, didn't catch a pass his Sr year, gets drafted and makes a team.
    Hey, I like seeing these former LSU players do well, but we have the other side of the coin. That's the players I worry about. Best of luck to them all. Sure, I'd like to see everyone of them return, but I'm not in their shoes. But looking back, the former LSU players that I know, all too many have done very well in life. So the school and coaches must be doing something right. I can think of two or three names that haven't done well over the years, not bad odds.

TigerTap and BayouBengal014 like this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I've wondered how coaching staffs will determine which five get graded. If it's nine, that means four won't be evaluated by NFL teams. I've guessed seniority rules but haven't seen or heard comments from any coach, as of yet, on how they are making that determination.

The limit to five per school seems like a good idea. The change to 1st round, 2nd round, or stay in school seems good as well. However, there's been some major misconceptions about the past evals. They graded 1st through 3rd rounds but there were kids saying they'd been graded as a 4th rounder? As I recall reading about this over the summer...there's never been a 4th round grade from an NFL evaluator.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's a pretty good question, I'd be interested in seeing how that works as well.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Before evaluations by the NFL, they would go by scouts, and others within the NFL teams. It's not too hard to get a feel on a player, as with anything, it's not fool proof.
    Some players think they know more anyway.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The agents are feeding them information, sportswriters make projections, scouts have blogsites. The players suspect that the NFL is in cahoots with the colleges to keep them in school. They make their own judgments, usually expecting a higher pick than what is reasonable.

The whole reason that players leave school early is the courts. The NCAA wants them to play out their eligibility, the NFL would prefer 5th-years seniors with a lot more experience and PT. The courts have ruled that the players can leave and play. It's a problem.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I like to see our guys do well in the NFL, but I am loyal to LSU and selfishly want that talent to stay. Imagine where we would be without the mass exodus to the pros. They could be talking about us being in the NC game the last 4 out of 6 years instead of you know who. We lost valuable talent that would have only gotten better if they stayed. Imagine the rotation on D we could have had the last few years, everyone would have looked so good their stock would have risen.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Speaking of fifth year seniors, how many have contributed on the Tiger squad this season?

The subject came up in a presser this week and I started counting...less than 10 of the 85.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Your boy Connor Neighbors is the only one I can think of.