stealing music, and the future of copyright

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Jul 3, 2007.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

we should not be about protecting silly business models, we should be about rational decisions that improve society. we shouldnt want to ban tap water because it hurts the guy selling bottled water. his job is not our concern. we want the best for society.

2. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

You forgot the rest. I know how to use the internet too. Napster in '99.

Again, Apple acquiring the software that became iTunes in 2000 AFTER NAPSTER WAS HERE ALREADY (read before "iTunes was already designed (by someone else lol) and in late production blah blah blah...").

At this point iTunes was just a media player. Not a browser. It was Mac's answer to Windows Media player for simplicity's sake. Next...

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are chanting martinworldspeak now and have gone completely off topic. You have been mostly rehashing points discussed months earlier in this thread. Come up with something new or give it up.

4. red55

Clearly much concurrent development was going on around the music industry. One that paid legal royalties and one that didn't.

5. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

Yes, I know I was right. Wanna take a stab at the question now?

6. red55

When was that? Look up concurrent, it means "at the same time."

This question?

Hypothetical, agendaless question: If Napster had not come around when it did, how long do you think (if ever) it would have taken for the music industry to take advantage of technology and start the e-commerce distribution of music? Do you think they would have even put forth the effort to innovate themselves if the threat was not there?

The answer, once again, is YES. Obviously. Apple has been the most innovative corporation in America and has been all over emerging technology for decades. You think Steve Jobs sits around and waits for the competition to come up with ideas for him?

Apple took the time to do it right. They got the permissions. They signed the royalty agreements and they have been a huge success making $billions. Legally. Meanwhile illegal Napster got shut down. And guess who has now followed Apple's business model into becoming a legal music provider? Napster?

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

in related news, i tried to borrow some books from the library for my kindle. no good. the format wont work. so i will have to strip the drm from the books and change the format so it will work.

the books work on the sony reader, but not the kindle. and what i have to do (remove drm) is illegal. so again i am a criminal. another example of the way things are screwed up. i am a criminal because i want to read library books.

8. red55

I'm placing you under citizens arrest.

But I have to wonder . . . I remember when people rented Betamax tapes and were outraged to find that they didn't play on VHS units. I thought those people were stupid for not understanding that there were competing formats out there . . .

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

does the kindle fit in your purse?

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes.