News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, so am I, but you have a definite position in this argument.

Only the believers need certainty. Disbelievers only require skepticism.

This, perhaps is the flaw in your logic. The believers are certain of their correctness because of faith alone. Atheists are certain of their correctness because of the total lack of evidence. Faith has no part in this certainty, my friend. It is a matter of logic and deductive reasoning.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Spiritual but not religious means I watch football or sleep in on Sundays. I have bunco (female) or poker on Wednesday. My kids play soccer on Saturday mornings and I have that party to go to on Saturday night.

tirk, Tiger in NC and Bengal B like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Would I bet $100 on the Cowboys? Yes. Would I bet $1000 on the Cowboys? Hell no. As Pete Rozelle was so fond of saying: "On Any Given Sunday...."

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

http://www.deism.com/index.html

Here is a link where you can learn more about deism if you want. I suppose if I were going to make a choice one way or another it would be toward deism. Most of our founding fathers were deists.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Indeed, I have taken up this position for the sake of this particular debate but it is not necessarily my own.

But there is a lack of evidence either way, Red. It's not like atheists are coming at this scientifically, although many would have you believe that. To say with any certainty one way or the other is dishonest and cannot be proven. What Atheists are really saying is they believe that believers are wrong. They cannot offer verification that there is no God. They cannot look out into the universe and deduce that there is no Supreme Being because it's impossible.....just as impossible to know with any certainty that there is.

This will be my last post on the subject. I have enjoyed the back and forth and understand that you see it differently. I respectfully disagree.

Winston1 and tirk like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

since when does faith require action.

red55 likes this.
  7. red55

I think it is more logical than that. If you were to tell me that you believe that there is a 80-pound anvil in your stomach, I would say you're wrong and it would not be based on my belief that your belief is wrong at all. It would be based on the relentless logic that it is your imagination at play unless you can somehow prove such an impossibility.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Wouldn't you have the belief that he was wrong about the anvil because you logic led you to that belief?

9. red55

I think I said it better.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You said it differently with a different connotation of the belief in whether it would be belief.