News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Splitting hairs. There are many more Catholic doctrines than the dogmas. Pope or no pope, 10 bishops and a high inquisitor are certainly Catholic hierarchy. It seems clear that your statement that the Catholic Church has never been in conflict with Science is just not the case.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Back in those days they didn't observe the legal niceties. The church was infallible. If they wanted to burn you at the stake you were toast. What are you going to do? File an appeal?

3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

A fair comment on your part but still incorrect. I may have been sloppy with my language.

Let's see if I can be more accurate. Science cannot conflict with official Church doctrine or dogma. Geocentrism has never been official Church doctrine.

Galileo got on the wrong side of the Pope in a period where the Church was politically very powerful and it worked out badly for him.

4. flabengal

Well, obviously you are correct on that. A disappointing episode, yes. However, I still maintain that as the trial was not competent to establish doctrine the infallibility of the church has not been violated.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

because the church just never colors outside the lines right

red55 likes this.
  6. flabengal

Regarding dogma or doctrine it is my understanding that they cannot be wrong. That is why i keep asking for an example. Are you aware of any?

7. red55

I don't think anybody is buying that, Padre. It's kind of hard to ignore that the Inquisition made the following order . . .

"We pronounce, judge, and declare, that you, the said Galileo... have rendered yourself vehemently suspected by this Holy Office of heresy, that is, of having believed and held the doctrine (which is false and contrary to the Holy and Divine Scriptures) that the sun is the center of the world, and that it does not move from east to west, and that the earth does move, and is not the center of the world."

The inquisition was part of the Roman Catholic Church, there can be no denial. This statement conflicts with science, there can be no denial. It is undeniably geocentric. Galileo is undeniably convicted of heresy, a religious crime. Are you suggesting that a High Inquisitor and 10 bishops appointed by the Pope are somehow not "official"?

8. red55

And you have been given two already. That "understanding" is entirely based on religious indoctrination. There is no scientific or secular measure of any kind that makes Catholic Doctrine infallible. What was Galileo convicted of if not violation of church doctrines? That is what heresy is. The earth does indeed revolve around the sun. This makes the Church wrong.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

And it took them HOW long to admit that they were wrong? Didn't they finally say "Aww shit" around 1970 or something like that?

10. red55