News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh good grief. See what I mean.

I apologize for calling you a sanctimonious ass the other day. I clearly had the wrong target.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Perhaps. I am the arrogant ass. supa is the sanctimonious ass. tirk is the cynical ass. tiga is the dumb ass. I guess that makes you the coon ass.

Bengal B likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I guess

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hell, they covered up pedophile priests for no telling how many years. Probably centuries until more modern communication and the internet made it impossible to cover their tracks.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Didn't you say you were Scandinavian or something like that? You better watch your mouth Olaf. You are surrounded by coon asses

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I won't be surrounded by them in Valhalla.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Ha, ha...you are pretty funny sometimes. This is entertainment of the highest order.

This Inquisition/trial of Galileo was a political show of strength. Vatican politics are obviously not infallible.

The trial established no doctrine and was no competent to do so. The establishment of dogma/doctrine, speaking "ex cathedra", etc. does not fall under that court's jurisdiction.

There are many parts of the Catholic Church but each one is not capable of establishing doctrine.

8. flabengal

I grant you that the official's use of the word heresy is incorrect, at least to my mind. It is unclear to me why they used that language. I am basically in agreement with you that if geocentrism was not doctrine then the term heresy does not apply.

However, just to be clear geocentrism has never been declared doctrine. Not by a Catholic authority competent to declare doctrine.

9. flabengal

Here is a good article on the subject. In it two Catholics are debating geocentrism, Galileo, etc. Long but interesting:

http://socrates58.blogspot.co.at/2010/11/geocentrism-not-at-all-infallible-dogma.html

Point #2: The decrees against Galileo were from Roman Congregations, approved only in forma communi. They were not papal decrees and therefore, all the more, were not immune from error.

As I have already demonstrated, the 1616 and 1633 decrees concerning Galileo were not “papal decrees”. Period. They were issued by Roman congregations. A papal decree and a decree from a Roman congregation are two different things. No amount of cajoling can make one into the other. In fact, the Catholic Encyclopedia states that the 1633 decree “did not receive the pope’s signature”.​

from the same article:

It is clear that the absurdity was the act of the Italian Inquisition, for the private and personal pleasure of the pope — who knew that the course he took could not convict him as pope — and not of the body which calls itself the Church.

also:
    I have said only that the decrees of Roman congregations approved in forma communi do not and cannot bind the universal Church to an irreformable, infallible doctrine. This is obvious even to honest inquirers outside the Church (as cited by the CE).

The Church does not teach geocentrism as a matter of faith. She never has. On the contrary, she has given us the direct principle—taught by the great Doctors Augustine and Thomas—that on matters of scientific inquiry, on “how the heavens go”, we are free to pursue these matters and come to varying conclusions. THAT is the teaching of the Church, as has been demonstrated here.

anway, the point is the trial was a political hit job on Galileo. Apparently he had really pissed off the pope by calling him a simpleton in his previous publication.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. flabengal

What was the second one?