Stephen Rivers Transferring?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IATigerFan, Feb 18, 2014.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Teacher's pet?

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Not really. For many, college football is a means to get to the Pros.

3. msully

msully Founding Member

We may not have the QB's we think we have when we hit the SEC either . It will take more than fast feet !!! The bowl game showed us what we can look for .

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Exactly. I wonder what % of LSU and Bama players consider that their primary goal and how that compares to Duke, or Colorado, or Kentucky. Just curious.

5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Thanks, didn't know that. It's a good rule. Yeh, he was smart.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I think Matt Leinart did the same thing. he took a couple basket-weaving classes his last year at SC. Both Manning brothers did also, I think.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

And Mett last season.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Had to look that one up. He was 19 when he graduated (just made 20 in December). I wonder how common that is?

I'm definitely eager to see what he brings to the table, but it's funny how the QBs that are the biggest unknowns get so much love.

9. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I really havent kept up with recruiting rankings since 2005-06, other than to glance to see the final totals after signing day, so most of the players are unknowns to me.

So @StaceyO, what you are saying is that even the fact that he had a late birthday in the year helps with his recruit ranking? (kind of like Brandon Weeden's NFL draft status because he was old?)

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Yes, I wonder about that. I have a bee in my bonnet about "red-shirting" kids when they should be entering kindergarten--so that they will be better at sports.

The Clausens (also from California) did that with their sons, who were all a good bit older than their peers when they played high school football. That could make someone look more impressive than the younger kids playing out there. I hope that isn't the case with Rettig, but it's in the back of my mind.

I was 17 when I graduated from high school and started college at that age (September birthday). For a girl, it wasn't a big deal to be a little bit younger in the 70's/80's. These days, however? The cut off date for starting kindergarten in Texas is a child turning 5 by the last day of August. My older daughter was born August 11th and started kindergarten when she was five. Unbeknownst to me, many MANY of her classmates were born in the summer of 2000 (or even in the spring of 2000, with a few in late 1999), when she was born in August of '01. This proved to be a distinct disadvantage to her in elementary school (like the teachers starting cursive with the 2nd graders, which she couldn't developmentally do until 3rd grade.) Only now as a 7th grader is she keeping up. But many Texas parents red-shirt their kids not only for athletics, but for an artificial academic boost as well.