Stephen Rivers Transferring?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by IATigerFan, Feb 18, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I don't think there is any sense in getting frustrated that Rivers is transferring or that Rettig is struggling. Very few high school players get signed by any college, let alone a powerhouse program in the SEC. However, not all of the guys that get scholarships to schools like LSU pan out, either.

On TOS, someone predicted that Rivers will transfer to a Div I school, post Heisman-like numbers, and play for years as a starter in the NFL. Based on what? His family name? The fact is he was beaten out as the back-up last spring by an 18-year-old kid who should've still been in high school. We don't think Cam is able to evaluate talent? I know many think Miles cannot.

As for Rettig? Who knows? None of us have seen him, and as I stated earlier, he was a good bit older than his peers when he played high school ball in California. That could be why he looked like a standout there.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I read it that he hasn't seen enough of Rettig and wants to see more. I think most of us do. Redshirts don't get to show their stuff much. Rettig did not look bad in the spring game last year. I doubt that Les would recruit quarterbacks like Mettenberger, Rivers, and Rettig if he had abandoned a pro-style passing game. In fact, Les has mentioned before that he likes to recruit both drop-back passers and mobile quarterbacks, as he did with Rettig and Jennings. It gives Cameron a lot more flexibility. LSU will not be able to keep signing top receivers if we don't sign and utilize quarterbacks who can pass the ball downfield.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    csycompanies and LSUpride123 like this.
  3. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Technically, he won't be transferring and he will wait until summer to "move on". He's just declaring his intentions early.
    I can see that a fan could come to that sort of conclusion, but come on man. Rivers wasn't going to compete for the starting spot and he knows it. I think that declaring his intentions now shows class and integrity on his part.

csycompanies likes this.
  4. red55

Do you think Jennings is going to just be given the job after this bowl game performance? I think there will definitely be competition at quarterback.

5. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

What's he doing here in the first place then?

Richdog likes this.
  6. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Yeah right. I predict he never plays a single down in the NFL, but he will be on the sidelines (college and/or NFL) with his clipboard and headset for decades
    No, even if he would have replicated the final drive of the R'kansas game the entire bowl game. On the same token, I don't think that his bowl performance shows that he isn't the best QB on the roster. I too think there will be a competition for the QB position, but apparently Rivers feels that he doesn't have what it takes to compete for the top spot. What do you know that Rivers doesn't know?

7. red55

You are missing the point. If Rivers is going to be here this semester anyway, I am a bit surprised that he's no giving the spring competition a shot, even if he has plans to move on in the summer. He's invested a lot in the system already. Jennings could get hurt, Rettig could still be green, Bolden may not be SEC-caliber . . . you just never know.

8. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Again I'll ask, what do you know about Rivers' chances in a spring competition that Rivers doesn't know?

9. red55

It's an absurd question. All I'm saying is that I'm surprised that he isn't competing in the spring. Live with it.

10. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

It is a little strange that he wouldn't at least compete in the spring. If nothing else after the 3-4 weeks he would know for sure where he stood.

cajdav1 likes this.