Steve Ballmer Bids $1.6 Billion for Clippers

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, May 29, 2014.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

what does the timing matter to anyone?
    he is a cancer and they let it grow, but they certainly can cut out the cancer now. David Stern is to blame, he knew this for a while. All of that aside, the punishment fits here, its a franchise all franchise has laws. You can lose a McDonalds franchise for royal violations or less. ive been on the side of franchise contracts and law. He signed it and knew what he was getting into. The players culpability doesnt make him any less in violations or any less racist. So yes, you are defending him in a way. One thing does not have to do with the other.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not saying they shouldn't have their privacy, I'm saying they should first and foremost try to purge such stupid thoughts and prejudices out of their being and #2 Brush up on their situational awareness. The recording is just a recording. Was he just putting on? Perhaps so and he really isn't a racist.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I suppose it isn't the timing as much as it is everyone being so gotdamn phony in their indignation. You are correct, Stern has known for years. But so has everyone who had personal or professional dealings with him from his wife, to his mistress, to the players, to his personal Vegas pimp, to Rivers. And yet they all kept quiet so they could keep getting their piece of the pie.

Again, my issue is with the concept that someone should be forced to sell their assets because of what they think. And in this case, his thoughts were not public, but private and illegally obtained.
    Try to purge their thoughts? Seriously? Can you purge your thoughts that don't fit in with society? Why should you? If you aren't doing anything illegal and you aren't hurting another personal or infringing on their rights, then say and think and feel any way you freakin want to. He absolutely has racist thoughts. I am quite sure he looked at V much like a plantation owner looked at a slave and yet she knew it and continued to take his money. And now she claims to be "hurt". Right. I also think he is bordering on early dementia but he has decades of behavior on which to form an opinion. There aren't many folks who speak highly of him. Look to the other side of town for the gold standard in NBA owners. When Dr. Buss died, it created a void.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

How about a little math to blow your mind. He bought the clippers for 12.5 million and sold them 33 years later for 2 billion. Seems like a huge return right? 16.6% annualized to go from 12.5 million to 2 billion in 33 years. Had he "only" gotten an 8% return, the team would be worth 155 million. Obviously a very nice return but it just shows how important every percentage point is when you compound over a long period. Maybe it's only interesting to me but thought I would share.

KyleK likes this.
  5. shane0911

@uscvball what I'm trying to say is if he weren't a racist that shit never comes out of his mouth.

And yes after getting out of small town Louisiana and mixing it up with the world I have changed my views on many things. What's so wrong with that?

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And who among us is perfect in thought? Nobody here is above occasionally racist, sexist, ageist, anti-gay thoughts. When you lay your head on the pillow you should be able to express your thoughts to a partner without the thought police moving in.

Nothing at all. That's you and your experience. We are all different. If someone feels and thinks a certain way but never exhibits poor or illegal behavior, what is so wrong with that? Sterling wasn't from a small town and he didn't spend the last 30 years in a small town. He's a Jew in a town that can be anti-Semitic. He's been around all kinds of people.

I'm not from a small town and I don't live in one. I still don't want anyone telling me how to think.

7. shane0911

So what you are saying is its ok to be a racist

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The laws do not rank higher than what he agreed to and here is why. Contracts are agreements written by lawyers specifically to adhere to and stay within the boundaries of the law. When you sign a contract that stipulates that certain behavior is unacceptable you have defacto legally agreed to give up a right that you would have had you not signed a contract. You have a legal right to pick your nose in public and in private but if you do it at your place of employment they can fire you. If you signed a contract stating that you agree not to pick your nose in private and somebody videos you doing it at you have violated the right you gave up in exchange for accepting employment

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Contract laws do not supercede basic rights. But you tell me....would he be successful in pursuing a legal case against V? And I would point out that losing your job is not the same as forced sale of assets or property. Not even close. What employer has ever offered a contract whereby an employee agreed to say, sell their home or car if they violate company policy? I am fine with banning Sterling from games and day to day management. Selling? No.