Stewart Mandel's mailbag question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DarkHornet, Dec 1, 2004.

1. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Mailbag

This question, and answer explains perfectly why LSU was actually screwed by Oklahoma's loss to Kansas State in last year's Big XII Championship. USC may never have had a chance to have a split title had Oklahoma entered the game undefeated instead of off of a nasty loss. Kind of sad to think about, but...

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I really dont think we were screwed. LSU is the National Champion. LSU played in the National Championship game and won. USC played in the Rose Bowl. The AP writers gave them an award. LSU is the National Champion.

Thats my story I am sticking to it...

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

They won a COMPONENT of the bcs.. but we won the overall..

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

You are 100% correct. Sure, we would have had all those USC apologists crying over how flawed the BCS was for having LSU jump USC after the conference title games were played, but remember that 11-0 OU team was being called one of the most dominant in recent history.

An LSU win over an 11-0 OU would have crushed any of USC's hopes and brought LSU a unified title; that's why I'm always amazed at how there's so, so much anger still directed here at USC over last year's split title and not at the real culprit, which technically was Oklahoma. If OU does what they should have done and win against Kansas St., then it's game, set, match for USC.

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

So true !

I checked the Crystal Football before the Sugar Bowl last year and it said "National Champions." I was also at the Rose Bowl before the game and its trophy did not have the words "National Champions" on it. Why was USC whining because they weren't in the Sugar Bowl ? Because they wanted to play for the National Championship. Logic tells me that LSU won the National Championship in 2003.

6. BB

BB Founding Member

Logic, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... :lol:

Logic is permitted on the internet, but is not allowed in College Football.