Still shouldn't get too excited

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by -T-, Dec 23, 2002.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

LSU beat the #1 team, but honestly it is the only good team LSU has beat. This is still the team that lost to Texas A&M. All tiger fans should wait another few weeks before thinking about an SEC championship or you're just setting yourself up to be let down. Wait until this team beats a few SEC teams. It's a shame we can't have another good team or two to play before the SEC schedule starts.

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Agreed, wish we had a couple of tough games before SEC play starts. UNO and Tulane are our next 2...they're not scratching the top 25 door but it's better than Prairie View, aTm CC, etc.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Who said anything about winning the SEC? We've got Alabama,Kentucky, Mississippi State, etc. to deal with. No illusions of grandeur here. We've all been down this road before and know how tough the conference is. Winning on the road is virtually impossible. It was a good win and I, for one, will enjoy the immediate aftermath and resultant publicity. We have a nice team with a little depth, a good coach IMO, and nothing else to do until baseball starts. Lets enjoy it.

4. VP-TIGER

VP-TIGER Freshman

Why don't you lighten up. We just beat the 1 team in the nation and that does't happen to often for anybody. We should be happy we are now ranked 24 in the AP. The stupid ass coaches poll only gave us 10 votes. Let's enjoy the win and keep supporting the team. I don't why there always has to some negative comments after everything. GO TIGERS!

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

I didn't see any negativity in any of these posts, except for your comment about the coaches poll.

6. Tuwho?

Tuwho? Banned Forever

UNO is not going to be a push-over by any means. UNO is led by the kid Hector Romero who many are predicting to be a serious contender for the 1st Team All American team this year as well as one of the top 10 NBA picks in the upcoming draft.

Romero is leading the Sun Belt in Ppg with over 22, Rpg with over 10.

And Johnell Smith is another kid who could play for any major Div. 1A team in the country AND start.

The rest of their team is average but those two, if on are deadly.

Its ashame that LSU didn't play Arizona with starter Adam Walton--I would have loved to have seen that matchup!

7. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

do you people WANT LSU to lose? i really dont understand it.

and tuwho...they had one player from their team full of A.A.s sit out....yeah, ok...they got beat. even with Luke out Zona is FAR more talented and deeper than LSU...BY FAR.

8. -T-

-T- Founding Member

Do you realize that Kentucky always loses 2,3,4,5 games before SEC play starts and LSU somehow only loses a couple? They play tough competition to get prepared for conference play. When you schedule good teams early on, the team will be much better at the end of the season. Most ever team that goes deep in the tournament plays a tough pre-conference schedule. It's not very hard to understand. If LSU losing to good teams early on will make them better come tournament time, I am all for it.

9. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i dont know how more prepared you could be after playing Bama, Florida, Kentucky, UGA, Ole Miss (might not be that great this year, but quality), and Miss State through out the regular season.

Auburn and Arkansas seem to be having some more down years, but they are still good competition.

after playing that type of schedule for the last three months...i doubt the first 10 games really makes a diffrence. if youre not buckled up and ready to go after the extremely tough SEC schedule....then youre not going to be ready at all...regardless of who the first 7 teams you play (waaayyyyy back in november)

comparing us to Kentucky isnt all that fair....Kentucky has a tremendous basketball history. they are one of the schools that will always be competitive. they are just traditionally good....i dont believe that if they were to play our exact OOC schedule early in the season...that they would all the sudden start getting knocked out of the tourny in the first game or two.

we're LSU and we're right off of probation (yeah, that word again). we had no clue how good we were going to be this season, and we still dont know. having those extra couple of wins at the end of the season could possibly make the diffrence of us making the NIT (even though i believe this is a NCAA team).

i think we should gradually update the OOC games, but i dont think we should jump in with both feet. add two-three better quality teams per season. just like the program is building...the schedule could build at the same time.

i personally like to look at the overall strength of schedule...and LSU's should be pretty good after the SEC tourny.

10. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Strength of schedule

LSU plays Alabama-1. twice, Arizona -4 , Florida -12 , Kentucky- 14, and Mississippi ST-16 twice. With Tuhoo's powerhouse projections for McNeese and UNO we should be ready for the SEC. I suspect if the Tigers make it through that schedule, with enough wins to qualify for the final 64, they will be ready.