Still shouldn't get too excited

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by -T-, Dec 23, 2002.

1. -T-

-T- Founding Member

Every year the tigers strugle in the 1st part of the SEC schedule. Even the great 1999-2000 team played bad in the first weeks of the SEC schedule because of the lack of competition they had faced pre-sec. OK St. was all they had played until Tenn, Florida, and Vandy showed them what real teams look like. All I am saying is that by playing a schedule made entirely out of SWAC level competion (Excluding Arizona, because this is a one time situation) the team does not get ready for the level of competition of the SEC.

2. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

i agree with that

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well, let's all get on a bus and go to BR and do the job that apparently no one up there now has the ability to do. Let's start out with Duke. They'll get us ready for the 3 game road swing to North Carolina, Indiana and Iowa. Then we'll come home (0 and 4 mind you) and play Arizona before about 3 people. Now we're 0-5, ready as hell and we'll still get the shit kicked out of us by the SEC powers.

4. VP-TIGER

VP-TIGER Freshman

Hey T, saying we lost to A&M and saying we should't get our hopes up a an SEC championgship is negative. You said it not me. But I do agree we should play tougher games at the beginning of the year. I'm not saying play Duke and Maryland but at least some medium size schools. Not Praireview and Corpus Christie. I'm sure the more people would go to the games. I sure as hell don't want to see Corpus play. But I went to the Arizona games as I will all the SEC games.

5. -T-

-T- Founding Member

There is a difference between being realistic and being negative.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think being realistic is going on the road to play a going to be good this year Texas A&M team, playing the #1 team at home, and playing 1 or 2 other middle of the road teams (ULL who beat top 20 ranked Miss St on the road, USA that only lost to Georgia and Louisville both on the road by 12 & 11 points).

Granted, I agree that it is underwhelming to play SWAC type teams early in the season. But it seemed to work this year as the Tigers beat the #1 team after playing such 'weak' competition.