Stimulating the economy Bahrry?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by cajun_tiger, Oct 21, 2009.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

thats a tough one.

Recovery.gov

$787 awarded

as of 10/8/09 $160B paid out.

about the total amount for the previous stimulus packages i believe.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

perhaps, but that's not what the thread is about. it is about someone posting all sorts of negative economic stats and saying O sucks. im just providing some evidence to the contrary. there may be better ways to do things but those ways rarely happen in representative republics

has that ever happened? im pretty sure it hasnt at least not in the past two centuries. So stop acting like O is the devil and contribute something to the discussion.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A short term increase in consumer spending is not sustainable unless more people get jobs and less people lose jobs. Unemployment will be in double digits before the end of 2010 (maybe even 2009). It's way too early to trumpet "the end of the recession". It's not too late to take advantage of recent upturns but, unfortunately, uncontrolled government spending on pipe dream entitlement programs is going to keep total recovery at bay.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Amusing thread here...
    People say that they think the economy is getting better and provide no proof and others state the economy is better by GDP.
    Meanwhile unemployment is 20 percent in Michigan and is near 10 percent in the rest of the country.
    I don't know what 9 news political affiliation is here in Denver but they just stated this morning that the numbers of the recovery have been inflated.
    Some of the jobs only lasted a few months and others overstated.

We need to re-visit this thread in a few months for laughs!

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

ah, thats better. i agree.

who's trumpetting the end of the recession?

from what i understand, jobs will be the last thing to come back. to see if we are coming out of it, look at decrease in inventories and increase in overtime pay.

would you have preferred the economy to shrink? it would probably mean the GOP gets more congress seats next year.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Of course I would not prefer the economy to shrink. I am not hoping for bad things so I can blame Obama. I am concerned about Obama's plans for the future. He is advised by people who advocate redistribution. His entire agenda is geared toward taking from the "rich" and giving to the "poor". His proposals to pay for everything by taxing the millionaires is doomed to failure. The "rich" will either move their assets or quit producing and hiring. The "rich" are the ones that keep the economy robust. Once he's got all of his programs up and running they will still need to be paid for and there is only one source for that money: The working middle class. That's my fear.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Of the grant funds available to most businesses there is about $370 bill still available. Most business owners don't know how to get it or that it is even available. If you told them that they could qualify for a couple of $100k for their business, they would problably tell you that there is no such thing, even though they know that there is grant monies available. In addition to the federal grant monies that are still available there is still about $150 bill in private grant funds that are out there for the same purpose.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

thats what voting is for.

youd think the venerable business leaders wouldnt be so stupid. ive already applied for several grants from the stimulus totaling a few mil.---and will continue to do so. just about every decent sized business should hire a grant writer for $50k just to apply out their azz.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Actually, you can hire grant writing teams, through a grant facilitator for much less than that. The biggest problem is the people who think that they can do it on their own. The possibility of actually receiving grants, doing it on your own is slim to none. Using a grant writing team that has the connections with the grant community, and knows who is giving what, when, and where is the only way you can be successful. There are grant facilitator companies out there that you can retain for anywhere from $6000 on up depending on the size of the grants that you are looking to obtain.

Most don't know that these companies exhist, or they have been scammed by them, and are reluctant to use one if they actually talked to one. Many business owners are ignorant to the fact that there are several grant catagories that their business could qualify for. What I find even more remarkable is the amount of grant funds not used annually that go back to the grant givers. Many companies use grant funds annually to improve their capital support, its there why not get their share.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

No its not, now that I think about it some of that was due to government programs such as cash for clunkers.
    Once these programs end growth will also slow and end all together with some of these programs.
    This also proves the point that if you lower taxes people will spend and invest and the economy will grow.
    Something the democrat party has always been against.
    No, the stimulus must not be working or they wouldn't be talking about a second already or there would be no point for another.