Stoops throws Bradley under a bus

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Jan 5, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

LINK

Of course, Stoops is right, but I would think he would want to keep these comments in-house. In addition, unbeknownst to me, apparently if the kicking team touches a punt without "downing" it, the receiving team can pick it up and retain possession even if they fumble.
    :confused: :confused:
    I've never heard of this, but that's what the announcers were saying. Point being, Bradley's action is a technique Stoops apparently teaches. I know USC never touched the ball though. I'm just wondering why Perkins wasn't back there.

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Bradley had a pretty poor night. Shortly after that muffed return, OU threw a WR screen. Bradley was supposed to block, but the defender ran around him and made the tackle. Bradley looked like he didn't even try to block.

3. fanatic

I think he's a senior too (I THINK). If so, he definately should've played better, but I think Stoops shouldn't have made his comments that he did to the media. They wouldn't have even been in the position to play for that game if not for Bradley.

4. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I agree. It's inappropriate to single the guy out for a boneheaded mistake....everyone already knew he F'ed it up.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Does anyone else get the feeling that there was more to this blowout than meets the eye?

Like as if the Okies all went to a hash-oil bong party the night before?

6. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

The night before??? How about pre-game?? :dis:

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Just a simple request, but can you say OU fans/people, anything but clump all Okies in with the Sooners? (Please????)

8. fanatic

Looked to me like they just lost their composure after Bradley's fumble. Then, White started pressing and never looked relaxed in the pocket after that, even though USC wasn't applying that much pressure at that point in the game.

9. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

The announcers are right, that is the correct ruling. If the punting team touches the ball first (without downing it), the punt return team can pick it up and move the ball forward without having to worry about fumbling it away. I believe the rule is also used in high school ball. It's not an odd rule, all coaches and players should know that rule if they are teaching punting or playing on special teams.

I read Stoops remarks and he seems pretty upset over the effort and focus of the Sooners last night. What a miserable night for them, everything went wrong and SC took advantage of every single mistake.

As bad as the botched punt return was, the missed block was almost worse . . . from a football technique standpoint. You could argue that Bradley felt an SC punt team guy touched the ball, but on that missed block he looked like he didn't even try. All of that said you can't lay the blame on one player, the entire Sooner team didn't show up last night and SC made them pay for it.

I hate SC, but I have to admit that they played an outstanding game last night.

10. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

[​IMG]

Mr Official, I can't help that I have bone-headed players. His foot was clearly out of bounds. OUr ball. Please spot it on the 5yd line for us. I mean for crying out loud, plezzzz. I'll pull the kid off my team right now if you just give us the damn ball. Why can't we have the ball back???? You want us to lose this game don't you? Yall from the SEC right? You pulled against us last year. Did Mack Brown pay you off???? You wearing a USC shirt under that pathetic zebra-looking, convict-issued shirt? Do you know who I am???