Storm season '16

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Apr 26, 2016.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Here it comes. 1st round today.

2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

good luck....these things keep getting worse every year it seems.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Scared me at first but now I think you are talking about Oklahoma and not Louisiana

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Indeed. Nothing yet which means 1 of 2 things, weather man was wrong (good) or its coming at night (very bad) we shall see

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Round three for us in Texas. I feel bad for my neighbors that have their roofs half finished. I am waiting...

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm not sure if Oklahoma is in the same boat as North Texas, but it's your 2nd option here in Texas--it's coming at night. We won't be able to see it.

The National Weather Service issued the dreaded "Particularly Dangerous Situation" alert with our tornado watch. However, tornadoes aren't the biggest fear here in North Texas lately--it's the freakin' hailstorms. Right before Easter, we had a late night hailstorm that I thought was going to smash the skylight in my master bathroom.

Just a couple of miles south (near my school), every single skylight was busted, including the 20 or 30 in my school building. That next morning, the rooftops across from my school still had heaps of unmelted hail on them.

Two weeks ago, I got caught a quarter mile from my house in another hailstorm (golf ball-sized). My 9th grader and I were stuck at a traffic light and the car was getting hammered. I thought the windows were going to smash. Luckily, I didn't have much damage. Several of my friends' cars have been totaled from hail damage from the March storm.

But that storm on April 11th hit Wylie, just to the east of Plano, the hardest. They were hit with softball-sized hail that put holes in roofs and shattered whole houses' worth of windows.

All of the school districts up here cancelled evening games and activities, and people are hunkering down for the night.

7. StaceyO

We need ours to be replaced, but at this point, I hope we don't get on anyone's schedule until June or July. I've heard it will take at least two years to replace all of the roofs in North Texas that need to be done.

And...I hope our skylight makes it through tonight. I think we're going to have it taken out when the new roof is done.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Didn't it occur to you to run the redlight and seek shelter? The damage to your can could cost a lot more than the traffic ticket. Happened to me once in Baton Rouge. I ran the light and got under the overhang at a gas station. No cop around but I would have done it anyway.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know if such a thing exists but it would be a great business for somebody to install skylight covers that you could push a button and the cover would slide over the skylight

10. StaceyO

I was on a six-lane street surrounded by cars on all sides. The cross street was a six-lane street with cars everywhere. There was no running the light. If there was, I would have in a second. It was seriously scary, and to be within spitting distance of my garage, yet to be trapped in a hailstorm was pretty freaky and frustrating.