Strong, quick response to incompetent coaching...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by FirstCoastTiger, Oct 5, 2010.

1. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

If you watched the Dolphins game last night you know that they were playing the Patriots tough until a string of ridiculous Special Teams plays unraveled and sunk the Dolphins chances of defeating a division rival that they NEEDED to beat.
    I know this is the Pro's and all, but after 3 games of horrible offensive coaching, isn't it time LSU starts to step up and make some tough calls like this?
    **NFLMenu
    John Bonamego fired by Dolphins
    Associated Press
    October 5, 2010
    Comment on this story

DAVIE, Fla. -- The Miami Dolphins fired special teams coordinator John Bonamego on Tuesday, only 12 hours after a calamitous prime-time performance against the New England Patriots.

Special teams cost Miami 21 points in a 41-14 loss Monday night. Two blocked kicks led to touchdowns, and the Patriots returned a kickoff 103 yards for another score.

The Dolphins (2-2) also had a punt blocked a week earlier in a loss to the New York Jets. The back-to-back divisional defeats have dropped Miami to third place in the AFC East.

Assistant special teams coach Darren Rizzi will replace Bonamego, coach Tony Sparano said. Bonamego was in his 12th NFL season and had been with the Dolphins since Sparano became head coach in 2008.

"It's a hard decision to make," Sparano said. "I know how hard this guy works. Nobody works harder than him at what he does."

Lapses by Bonamego's units turned a close game into a rout. The Patriots trailed 7-6 before Brandon Tate returned the second-half kickoff untouched for a score. Pat Chung blocked a punt to set up a touchdown, then blocked a field goal that Kyle Arrington returned 35 yards for a touchdown and a 34-14 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Sparano said Miami's breakdowns went beyond coaching.

"Our players also need to take responsibility," he said.

The Dolphins endured their most lopsided defeat since 2007, when they went 1-15. They lost even though they outgained the Patriots by 135 yards, limited them to 146 yards passing and held Randy Moss without a catch.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Thank you for posting this.

I started a thread on a Saints forum asking why the special teams coach had not been fired as of yet. About the exact same time to me posting that, it was being reported that he was indeed fired.

That's how you do it.

Unfortunately for the Dolphins, Sparano is pretty much a big part of the problem for them going very far. He's just a horrible game manager.

Should have titled the thread "Damn Strong quick response"

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

While you are both correct in premise, you both also know it just doesn't work this way in the college ranks. Times like these makes me wish it did, but it won't. Like it or not, Les will be here next year for sure and perhaps the one after that. I'm unsure of his contract details. I'd say 50/50 they extend it.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You are indeed correct. Unfortunately.

If they extend it, that would be just utterly sad.

5. FirstCoastTiger

That's true. You're right that it doesn't happen often in college but.....
    BYU defensive coordinator Jaime Hill fired
    Oct 2, 6:18 pm EDT

Email
    Print
    PROVO, Utah (AP)—BYU defensive coordinator and secondary coach Jaime Hill has been fired with the Cougars off to their worst start in nearly four decades.

Hill was fired Saturday, a day after BYU fell to Utah State, its fourth straight loss.

Coach Bronco Mendenhall said in a statement he will take over Hill’s duties, and graduate assistant Kelly Poppinga will work as a defensive coach for the rest of the season.

Utah State ended a 10-game losing streak against BYU by beating the Cougars 31-16 on Friday. BYU is 1-4 for the first time since 1973.

Hill joined BYU in 2006 as secondary coach and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2008. He came to the school from the Ottawa Renegades of the CFL.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

It runs through 2012, and he is owed whatever his remaining salary is in the event of a termination and buyout. He makes $3.75MM a year, so if he were fired at the end of the year, he would be owed $7.5MM.

2theadvocate.com | News | LSU sports contracts approved — Baton Rouge, LA

7. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

LSU is not a privately run enterprise, it's a state university. You can't hold people as accountable, because of all the bureaucratic red tape.

You cannot compare the Miami Dolphins' front office to the Athletic Dept. of a state university, you just can't.

Even if Miles would want to fire a coach (say, our Offensive Coordinator) in the middle of the season, there is no way the AD or the board of directors would sign off on it.

Assuming of course you meant Crowton. If you started this thread to suggest LSU immediately fire its head coach, because a professional team fired its special teams coordinator today, well, you might be a dumb ass.

1 person likes this.
  8. FirstCoastTiger

Okay let me be more specific:

1) Bo Pelini was a STUD Def. Coordinator. He knew his stuff. Miles left him and our Defense alone. We win a National Championship. All is good in Tiger Land.

2) Pelini leaves for Nebraska and then Miles inserts the Bradley Dale Peveto debacle. Miles gets in over his head. It's a mess. He ALLOWS the 2 Co-Def. Coordinators the ability to move on and find a better fit somewhere else.

3) Miles hires The Chief - he is also a Defensive STUD. Miles leaves him and our Defense ALONE. We are rocking on Defensive. We are 5-0 because of it. Period.

Now let's turn this scenario to our OFFENSE...

1) Crowton and Miles get along like oil and water. Their scheme's, philosophy, and approach to solving our anemic offensive issues results in us being nearly dead last in the nation last year and unless there's some major changes we will be there again at the end of this year.

2) Crowton may very well be a good offensive coordinator. Unfortunately we will never know that here at LSU. Why? Because him and Miles don't mix. It's a disaster. Miles is involved way too much (UNLIKE the Def. Coord.), he's in over his head, and something MUST BE DONE.

Specifically I am calling on the LSU Athletic Dept. and Administration to STEP UP and force Miles to make a change - or do it without him. Even this is over Miles head. I think they need to encourage Crowton to resign and help him save face and help him land a good job the way Miles did with Peveto, etc...Then we go out and hire a STUD Offensive Coordinator - just like we did with Chavis - and encourage Miles to leave the offense ALONE. Obviously STUD O.C.'s are not just sitting around the telephone in the middle of the season, so if we need to throw an interim tag on Gonzales, etc...and survive the season. MANY Stud O.C.'s would jump at the chance to come to LSU - especially if we add the "COACH-IN-WAITING" title beside his "Offensive Coordinator" title.

Everyone knows it will take a truckload of cash to buyout Miles, etc....that will not happen anytime soon in my opinion.

IMAGINE what would happen if we hire a stud OC and Miles can remain on the sideline - as proud of our new and improved offense (under new mgmt) just like he sits back and enjoys Pelini's and Chavis' defenses over the years. All would be well in Tiger Land once again....

1 person likes this.
  9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Key business rule: "Slow to hire, fast to fire."

What?...oh yeah, this ain't business this is sportz. Dang.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Who knew there was a such thing as an 'assistant special teams coach'. Seems like a one person job, but what do I know about coaching football at the professional level?