STUPID WORM

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Thibodaux Tiger, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Thibodaux Tiger

Thibodaux Tiger Professional Lurker

did anyone else here get that stupid worm going around?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

what worm are you talking about?

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Lovesan worm

Worm.Win32.Lovesan

Lovesan is an Internet Worm which exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability in Microsoft Windows described in MS Security Bulletin MS03-026.

Lovesan is written in C using the LCC compiler. The worm is a Windows PE EXE file about 6KB (compressed via UPX - 11KB when decompressed).

Lovesan downloads and attempts to run a file named msblast.exe.

The text is as follows:

I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!!
    billy gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!!
    Symptoms of Infection:

MSBLAST.Exe in the Windows system32 folder.
    Error message: RPC service failure. This causes the system to reboot.

How the Worm Spreads

Lovesan registers itself in the autorun key when the system reboots and launches itself every time the computer reboots in the future:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    windows auto update="msblast.exe"
    The worm then scans IP addresses, attempting to connect to 20 random IP addresses and infect any vulnerable machines. Lovesan sleeps for 1.8 seconds and scans the next 20 IP addresses.
    Lovesan scans IP addresses following one of the patterns below:

In 3 out of 5 cases Lovesan selects random base IP addresses (A.B.C.D) where D is equal to 0, while A, B and C are random numbers between 0 and 255.

In the remaining 2 out of 5 cases Lovesan scans the subnet and gets the local IP address of the infected machine, extracts values A and B from it and sets D to 0. Then the worm extracts the C value.
    If C is less than or equal to 20, then Lovesan does not modify C. Thus, if the local IP address is 207.46.14.1 the worm will scan IP addresses starting from 207.46.14.0

If C is greater than 20, than Lovesan selects a random value between C and C-19. Thus, if the IP address of the infected machine is 207.46.134.191 the worm will scan IP addresses 207.46.{115-134}.0

The worm sends a buffer-overrun request to vulnerable machines via TCP port 135. The newly infected machine then initiates the command shell on TCP port 4444.
    Lovesan runs the thread that opens the connection on port 4444 and waits for FTP 'get' request from the victim machine. The worm then forces the victim machine to sends the 'FTP get' request. Thus the victim machine downloads the worm from the infected machine and runs it. The victim machine is now also infected.

Other Information

Once a computer is infected the system sends an error message about RPC service failure and may reboot the machine.

As of August 16, 2003 Lovesan will launch DDoS attacks on the Windowsupdate.com server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

its an offshoot of the blaster virus.

6. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

I got it, it sucks. At least it doesn't do any file removal or damage.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Re: The Lovesan worm

You lost me at Worm..........:shock:

8. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Re: The Lovesan worm

yeah?????? That sounds about right, couldn't have said it better myself??????.....:D :D :D :D :D :D

9. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

I can help!! I had this same problem and was able to solve it.

There is a fix which you can do yourself and you don't need to be a computer guru to do it. Just follow my simple instructions below. You can also download a patch from microsoft. I don't remember the link but I am sure you can search for it on Microsoft's website. BTW this problem only exists if you are online and connected to the internet. (if you use something other than dial-up you will need to unplug your ethernet cable, otherwise your system could reboot while you are trying to fix it)

In the mean time do this:
    1) Click Start
    2) Click run
    3) Type services.msc
    4) Click OK..... A new window will open up which has a list of services that run on your computer.
    5) Scroll down the list untill you find. "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" --- there are two services in this list with this name. One of them (the incorrect one) has the word LOCATOR after it. DON'T PICK THAT ONE.
    6) Double Click "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" --- (the one that DOES NOT have the word locator after it.) A new box will open.
    7) Click on the tab labeled RECOVERY
    8) In the THREE drop down boxes select: "TAKE NO ACTION"
    9) Click apply
    10) Click OK

You are now done and can use your computer without it shutting off. After you do that, you can download the patch from microsoft which is supposed to solve this problem for good.

I did the above about a week ago, and have had ZERO problems since then.

10. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

just an update:

My windows automatic update just told me a new patch to solve this problem has been released. You can use windows update to find, download and install the patch.