Sugar Bowl question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tygrr, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Ok, I've been watching the Sugar Bowl a lot lately, and I still can't figure out why on earth OU didn't have a man downfield to receive the final punt of the game. This may have been discussed on here previously, but I've never seen it so I'm asking it. Anybody have any good reasons why a coach wouldn't at least try to return that kick? :confused:

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It looked to me like they thought LSU was not going to kick the ball and would try to run out the clock instead. Did not look like they put on a big rush but were instead looking for LSU to run the ball.JMHO :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well they blocked the punt earlier in the game, so that had to be their approach to charge the punter will all 11 players.

But what I didn't understand is if you look closely at the replay, they just kinda gave up in the play and never really had much of a rush.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That may explain what I was confused about on that play. Didn't think about it that way. I think this is probably correct.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

We were a little conservative but remember also that Mauck threw an int with LSU at the Oklahoma 30 when it looked like we would score. Also the Sooners had a pretty good defense themselves just watch Stoop's half time interview if you don't remember.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

If we were more conservative we wouldnt have thrown that damn INT.

I agree it seemed like Stoops sent everyone then upon further review it seemed he didnt even prepare for it much like he was ill-prepared or rather out-prepared the entire game.

7. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Bob Stoops said he did not think LSU was going to punt the football.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hell I was there with headphones and I think Hawthorne even figured they were. So Hawthorne could figure it out but Stoops couldn't? 'nuff said. Guess he was still too busy throwing some tantrum about losing his noonie.