Summer Gas Tax Suspension

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, May 5, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Is this proposal a good idea or is it just pandering by Clinton and McCain. Most experts agree that it isnt good for the economy from most of what I have read. However, Clinton has a twist to her idea of having the oil companies pay for the loss of revenue?
    Is her plan still a bad idea or a good pandering idea?
    Or just a good idea?

I really dont think its a good idea, just because the savings are about 30 dollars, which probably would be more for me since I drive alot. However, if it does happen will the oil companies just increase the price around the same amount of the tax?

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Cut taxes but not spending? Genius. I am doubtful that trying to fix the free market is the way to go, especially when many countries pay more for gas than we do already.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's clearly pandering for votes for McCain to offer tax cuts on gasoline that don't come with spending cuts or alternate sources. That just reduces, by $Billions, the money we badly need to repair our antiquated and falling apart interstate highway system.

Clinton's plan to make up the money from windfall profits taxes on the oil companies makes good sense to me. The citizens were hurting last summer, as the oil companies posted huge profits. That money wasn't going to expensive oil, but to corporate coffers.

Obama apparently sees no need to offer relief to drivers, nor to offer incentives to oil companies to reduce windfall profits.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

If the gas tax is suspended, I can't wait for this issue to be sorted out.

As to the merits of the suspesion, I haven't studied it in any deatail I wonder what a suspension would do to the supply and demand graph.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/29/gas-tax-holiday-splits-cl_n_99296.html

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Anything at this point, that would reduce gas prices, would be welcome.

Is it pandering? Absolutely, though I've also noticed that Obama has been VERY silent on this issue.

Seriously, if gas was this expensive 15 years ago, when I was a beginning teacher, making $15,000 and commuting 80 miles a day, I wouldn't have been able to survive. I imagine gas prices are really hurting poor people very badly.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Self defeating. The tax kicks in when the oil companies make excess profits, raising their overrides would only make it worse.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

the more and more I read your post, they seem to be pro-clinton and anti-obama. Not just this one, buy many in the past couple of weeks. Which is fine with me, just pointing that out. Everyone knows I am pro-Obama, but i was wondering would you confirm your stance on the candidates.

although criticizing an idea and not offering a counter solution isnt fair either, to which you are pointed out about Obama. Which I do agree, he needs to come up with a solution.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm against penalizing success. Much of those "excess profits" go into exploration and extraction.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

I was listening to my "liberal" radio show this morning and the host says, that she thinks the oil companies should pay for the tax, she said, she is not opposed to them making a profit, just not to much of a profit or that big of a profit.

That statement really turned me off, i really dont like the host. But I thought I was a republican for that split second that I was turned off by the comment..

Then I came to my senses.:hihi:

But the comment got me to thinking, how wrong she was.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

On the other hand, those companies do benefit from being in the US...