Summer Gas Tax Suspension

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, May 5, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

No response Red?

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

You're right about that. I assumed you wouldn't think that. I probably should have said extremist rather than "nut jobs".

If this is the only reason, then oil production should increase, because all you see is how gas prices are hitting new records and how it's affecting us. Hell, it could be said global warming took a back seat to rising gas prices.

I don't believe that is all true. It might be happening but I don't see going down like that. I see speculators driving up the prices like that because they see something go down in the middle east or they hear some dictator say he'll stop oil shipment yadda yadda yadda. I think it's BS. When I hear supplies are down one day, and up the next, It's hard to believe that it's really the case.

The object is to make money. if no one can afford it, they can't make money, but we'll always need oil so we'll end up sacrificing other things to fill up. This will bring market pressure and we won't allow these other things to go under because of high gas prices, thus the price will go down.

This goes to CParso too, you also got figure in for inflation when looking at it as cyclical.

Also, I found this little tid-bit. Oil and gas execs see oil prices fall below $100 by year-end - survey - Forbes.com

The Associated Press: Survey says executives see oil prices falling

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Oil prices have exceeded inflation.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No real objections. While wind, solar and nuclear will certainly have a better platform to compete for electrical production, there is essentially no competition for vehicle fuels right now, which is a major reason that oil companies have no incentive to compete. That's what a free market also does, which is why governments have to keep a vigilant watch over monopolies, trusts, and cartels.

I despise and hold in contempt all lobbyists for all companies. There is nothing in the Constitution about lobbyists. Why should big business gain special access to our elected representatives? Politicians are supposed to be representing the interests of their constutencies and the interests of the nation. Big business should be spending their money and efforts lobbying the citizens, not the politicians. We'll tell the politicians what we want.

1 person likes this.
  5. red55

Perhaps . . . under the rosiest of scenarios. But there are some very dark and scary scenarios as well, my friend. Experience has taught me to be very skeptical . . .

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

So, logically you would despise unions as well, since they constitute some of the biggest, most aggressive, and most influential special interests inside the Beltway.

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

Perhaps . . . under the rosiest of scenarios.

8. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

actually, the union lobby is not near as aggressive or as prevalent as a special interest. and the repubs. are constantly trying to reduce the influence they do have.

9. red55

That's a poor analogy that misses the point. Lobbyists shouldn't exist, for any special interest. I don't have to despise or love any group to be against their special interest lobbying. I'm not a big fan of unions, big oil, or the pharmaceutical industry and I don't think should be allowed to lobby our elected representatives. I'm a very big fan of LSU, The Nature Conservancy, The National Geographic Society, and the Boy Scouts and I don't think they should be allowed to lobby either.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I disagree. There are many unions, and some of them wield a GREAT deal of clout inside the Beltway. Teachers union is just one example. It's freedom of assembly and freedom of speech. Just like lobbying.

That's my point.

Power (money and voting blocks) means access. Unions and lobbyists do it exactly the same way. But it's very popular in some circles to point at big business as the fat-cat criminals and conveniently ignore self-serving and often completely unnecessary unions.