Sunday Baseball game @Arkansas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mike5705, Apr 24, 2005.

1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

It's GREAT to sweep th' Hogs after they did it to us last year....

:geauxtige :lsup: :geauxtige :lsup: :geauxtige :lsup:

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Let's just enjoy the win instead of bringing up negative thoughts.

Tigers complete cochon du lait

Now we need to see Dirks and Smith continue this great pitching next week against pitching rich Vandy. Will be intersting to see if Smoke sticks with Lane or if he gives another guy a shot.

Smith now has pitched 16 & 2/3's consecutive scoreless innings. :thumb:

3. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

That was a huge sweep for the Tigahs. Somewhat favorable schedule forthcoming with Vandy and Kentucky. I beieve they should win 5 of 6. It's amazing how right now the saturday and sunday starters seem to be in a groove. Especially Smith. This guy is in a zone. The question is, do you make a move and switch the rotation. Or, do you give Mestepey one more weekend to see if the new found offensive fire can help him get it going. It's a tough spot to be in. You dont want to make a move that can mess up the good pitching your getting from Dirks and Smith. But, you dont want to give up 5 or 6 runs on fridays and be forced to slug it out. Thoughts?

4. Carface

Carface What the...?

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Scrappy, as one of the few to NOT ignore you, I'll give my thought on the pitching situation. As of right now, and most of the season, I'd have to consider Dirks the ACE. Smith has been coming around VERY nicely, and Lane has been struggling. Dirks, however, has been pretty darned consistent all season. I think I'd let Determan start on Friday nights--he's earned it. Of course he won't go any more than 5-6 innings, but Lane is about our 4th or 5th best pitcher as of RIGHT NOW. He's had two AWFUL weekends in a row...maybe he's just trying to hard... If we know anything about Mestey, it's that he's a team player that will do anything it takes to win. With having said all of that, I'd let Determan start friday and have Mestey throw some bullpens until he gets his feet back under him. I wouldn't mess with the rotation though... Smith and Dirks are in too much of a groove right now...

6. clair

clair Rockets

If and when Lane comes around, watch out! We could be better than most people think

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

JayB, I agree, I would not move Dirks or Smith. And the obvious reason that you are expounding, don't mess with what has been successful for them, is only one reason of a few.

I also think that Dirks and Smith are going to match up favorably with anyone they face and give us a huge advantage in their Sat. and Fri. roles. Tennis programs have been doing this for decades. I also think we may be putting too much pressure on them if one of them were to be moved to the Friday start.

Also, if Lane is going to come out of this funk he has been in for the past 2 games Vandy may be just the team he does it against.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

What a great way to begin THE HOT STREAK!

This is HUGE, because the Hogs are a very, very excellent baseball team. They were rolling along really well, then lost a SEC Series to Tennessee last weekend. They wanted to bounce back against LSU very badly, and their balloon full of hopes went up in flames like the Hindenburg.

O THE HUMANITY!

http://www.vidicom-tv.com/tohiburg.htm

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

The little piggies came into the series 14th in the Baseball America poll and 17th in the Collegiate Baseball poll.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

The Oklahoma State Cowboys beat the Texas Longhorns on National TV today! I saw the last couple of innings on ESPN 2.

Congrats!