Super Saints - "More Than A Championship" video

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by ccgw, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

An LSU Tiger fan in Mobile, Alabama produced this fantastic video about the Saints (with a lot of heart), and posted the youtube link in Tigerdroppings. A lot of you might have seen it already; it is a MUST SEE for the rest of us who haven't heard of this video. To me it is one of the best that I have ever seen; extremely well done.

YouTube - Super Saints - "More Than A Championship"

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I've seen that video already, but thanks for putting it out there again. It is fantastic! Watching it again brought a couple of thoughts to mind:

Until now, I didn't realize how Henderson's "Hakim drops the ball!...There is a God after all!" call epitomized how pathetic the franchise has been. To go that crazy because it took 35 years just to win a playoff game? Wow....the Super Bowl euphoria is understandable. There are franchises older than the Saints that still have not won a Super Bowl. And while many people consider the Steelers to be the model NFL franchise, many forget it took them 40 years to win an NFL championship.

Two memories came back to me on seeing the old Tulane Stadium footage (my family had season tickets from '69 to '75). We once stopped a game against the Eagles for 22 minutes booing a bad officials call. It was amazing. J. Romig announced at some point that the refs were threatening to call a penalty on the crowd. Yes, that helped. :lol:

Then there was a game, probably around '72 or '73. Final game of a pathetic season, not even one of those 5-9 efforts that showed some signs of hope. They were playing the Bears, Saints ball on the Bears' one, and Archie tried to sneak it in. Somehow the ball popped out, and one of those scrambles that NFL Films loves for its Follies shows ensued. Saints finally recovered....2nd and goal from the 32-yard line!

It took a long time, but we've come a long way. Saintslogo=|lombardi|

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Are you kidding me? That call is classic. I was at that game and heard it reset time after time on the ride home. So much so, that I HAD to have the .mp3. (Yes, I have an .mp3 of that call)

4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

yeah my two favorite calls of all time before this year was "hakim dropped the ball" and hawthorne's warren morris HR call.

after this year, i gotta put the end of the NFC cg near the top and the call on the porter INT.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I was at the game as well, on the sideline as a matter of fact. While I think it is a great call, my point is, Henderson's jubilation in the moment, while memorable, also emphasizes the futility of the Saints' history to that moment. The fan bases for many franchises, IMO, think a first round playoff win is a given, and wouldn't consider a fumble recovery that diverted what could have become an embarrassing come-from-behind defeat to be a miracle.

But, yes, I love the call. In fact, I interviewed Henderson at training camp the following summer, and my final question was to ask what he thinks of when he hears the following 4 words....Hakim drops the ball. He laughed it off and downplayed his role in the moment. He may have just been being modest, because its obvious (and has become more obvious with time), just how important his description of the key moments in Saints history are to Saints fans.