Support The Tiger Stadium Ticket Plan!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux5000, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

I guess it is just me, but I really can't understand why any LSU fan would oppose the ticket plan. Maybe everyone else has forgotten, but before Saban got here we were coming off 8 losing seasons in 11 years. I have no desire to ever repeat that era for the rest of my life, LSU and TAF are trying to ensure that by once and for all putting us in the same leauge as the Florida'a and the Tennessee's of the SEC, but it seems that a lot of my fellow LSU fans are happy to just win maybe one SEC title every 10-15 years. Why do you think Nick Saban hasnt even really considered leaving LSU yet? He knows that if this passes he can stay here for another 10 years and win a national title or two THEN chase his NFL dream. He knows if he did that we would build a gold statue of him outside Tiger Stadium and he could pretty much do no wrong, but he can't do it by himself. The Academic Center For Athletes was a big part of our recruiting sucess this year but it wont take long for other schools to build something like that of their own, we need to get onto that level and stay there. If they want me to pay an extra 500 bucks a year to see that happen, I will be more than happy to do so. But if this doesn't pass, you can bet we will see Saban in the NFL within 2 years (at the most) and the program will regress with that. All this and I havent even touched the other sports where this applies just as much. Right now we have a chance to really put LSU at the top of the nations athletic departments for a long period of time rather than just once every ten years. Do you want every athletic season to be like 2001-2002 (when we were ranked the #6 athletic department in the nation by Sports Illustrated) or do you want to just be an SEC also-ran? I am amazed we have done as well as we have considering the disadvantages we have against other SEC schools. I always thought LSU fans wanted to win at all costs but I guess 500 bucks is too much...

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I support the necessary changes. Do any of you guys have a link where I can look at the new proposals in detail? I'd really appreciate it. I've also heard some people talking about TAF awarding premium seats based on a "points system" (i.e., the larger your contribution in funds, time spent helping the university, membership in TAF and other LSU orgs, being a faculty or alumni, etc., etc., the better seats and parking spaces you get). That would be a good way to do things.

3. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I'm not for the plan but will support it if it gets implemented. I'm more in favor of a tiered ticket price. no reason someone in the nose bleed should pay the same as someone on the 40.

All the talk centers around we need this money to improve football. a good portion of the funds are going to non-football projects and none of the funds going to football are detrimental to it's continued existence. replacing the w upper deck? it's not b/c it's crap it's to put it in line with the other side....if it needs need renovating so be it but you don't have to tear it down. "full-service" facilities at the practice field....you think some kid gives a crap if he works out by the practice field or by the stadium. Yes the projects will make the facilites in the elite....but is it necessary?..absolutely not. Saban has done just fine with what he has at this point...which is none of the above.

Surcharges on tickets do not translate into success. Ala has some ridiculously high surcharges and look at what their program is and was going through the last ten years. I'm not familiar with Miami's ticket or booster program but I know they don't sell their home games out....and look at them.

Also i don't buy this crap of it costing $12 million annually to service the debt over 30 years. that's horse crap. LSU/TAF can get funds in the 5% neighborhood that cost about $7-$8 million a year to service. that's a $4-$5 million dollar swing in funds needed. They are not being totally honest with this plan.

there's an article today in the advocate about opposition to the plan www.theadvocate.com under sports.....check it out.

As i said I will support it if implemented b/c i luv the tigers but i'm not for it.

4. Geaux5000

You make some good points, but I still think that it would be a very bad thing for LSU to not have this. Here are some counterpoints:

I'm sure you know how cutthroat recruiting is in the SEC. Making certian improvments, although they may seem minor or insignifigant, can go a long way to ensuring we keep on having recruiting classes like the one we just had. The two projects you are talking about are just the beginning if this gets passed, more projects will be unveiled 2-3 years down the road once these are complete. yes, Saban has done very well with what he has at LSU...but imagine what he could do with these extra facilities.

More money doesnt translate into success, yes that is true. Alabama and Miami are great examples for that point, but they are just that, examples. Those two programs are the exception, not the rule. Because of the competitive nature of college football, every program will have some downtime, but Bama hasn't ever had 8 losing seasons in 11 years now have they? I think if you have the right kind of people in your program then that won't be an issue. Surcharge or no surcharge, Bama cheated big-time and they are paying the price for it.

I can't speak to the truthfulness of the numbers LSU/TAF have provided as I haven't done any sort of research on them, but I will say that I don't think the people who are running things at TAF and the LSU Athletic Department want to do anything other than make LSU the best athletic program in the nation.

I saw the article too and that is why I started this thread because the reasons for the opposition that were stated in the article came off to me as very weak.

5. Geaux5000

I dont think it is online but they had a detailed scketch in today's Advocate.

6. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Try this out. It is one plan for a surcharge. There was also a good example of one plan in the last Purple and Gold Magazine. The prices of the surchage differ a little but it finally gives everybody an idea of what will happen. Also there are no $2,000 seat surcharges so stop that rumor.Link

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I am not opposed to higher ticket prices and surcharges as long as the money is spent directly to improve the Tigers chances of winning. The Chicago Cubs are a major market team and they spend a fortune but they are still a perennial cellar dweller. On the other hand the New York Yankees spend a fortune and they win the World Series more often than not because they spend the money wisely. Hmmm What would it take to entice George Steinbrenner to become LSU's AD?

8. LSUtigah

LSUtigah Founding Member

I would rather see accountability first from the TAF before I would be willing to support their plan. Do I think a surcharge is necessary? Yes, but not at the rate TAF proposes.

9. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

First of all the TAF has not given any proposed rates for a surcharge. The whole deal is being done by the athletic department not the TAF. The athletic department will not use the rates already charge by the TAF for the 12% already surcharged, they will make a new plan. The olny reason the TAF is in this is to spend the money we will make. LSU and the Athletic department will controll the money and then tell the TAF what to spend it on.. The TAF won't control the money. In plans i've seen most seats will be under $100 with many just $50. There will also be some without a surcharge. The only seats that would have a high surcharge will be the club seats and suites.