Supporting Troops

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Jul 2, 2006.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Re: Les Miles in Iraq

I don't know. Are they driving around with "Support Our Troops" ribbon magnets on the back of their vehicles too?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The president is not the government--he is a politician, not an emperor. We are perfectly and Constitutionally free to criticize our politicians and their political policies.

A politician's war policy is not created by the troops, so criticism of that policy does not constitute criticism of soldiers. To suggest so is simply wrong and usually comes from political supporters of the administration for political reasons.

The military does their job just fine, even if they are being misused by politicians. I think the military is conducting their operations professionally and competently, even as I think the Bush administration's war policy is an abysmal failure.

Some of us feel that supporting the troops means demanding that our political leaders deploy and utilize the military wisely and not squander them foolishly in unwinnable situations babysitting someone else's civil war.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

1) I know Bush isn't an emporer and I have no problem with people criticizing
    it to a point until it crosses the line by parading on tv and saying certain
    things the enemy can hear loudly which most people against the war seem to ignore.

2) If you are suggesting that I am simply wrong because I'm a Republican.
    I disagree, everyone knows it bothers me when the left has a political circus
    on tv because the enemy sees that and is strengthened by it.
    That is why some suggest that certain Liberals are on the enemies side even
    though I don't necessarily agree with it.
    Anyone not willing to admit that the enemy could see some politicians saying
    some irresponsible things that could empower the enemy?
    Well, I'll leave it at that.

3) An unwinnable situation?
    History and time will tell but theres no denying that certain Democrats played
    a big role in running their mouths and making the situation worse.
    Its all Bush's and Republicans fault, right? Dems had nothing to do with it?

The thing about this thread is that Chaos made it sound like we should cut
    and run from Iraq because things aren't going so well and that is why I responded here until things changed and my whole point is now lost.
    If he meant cut and run because he's against it that speaks for itself, if he
    meant because its tough going, thats what scares me about this country.
    Will we ever be united again on a war effort?
    We may unfortunately have to attacked 15 times, maybe twice as bad before this country ever wakes up.
    It is one reason to disagree with the war and why we are there and have debate its quite another to say things
    beyond that can empower the enemy.
    Don't think they don't have ears because they use our media for their purpose pretty well!

4. red55

So you think we should forget our freedoms and our right to dissent just because some enemy may hear about it? Fug 'em! We don't play by the enemy's rules. They can suppress all discourse and run a dictatorship if they wish to, but we can't let them make us do it!

You are wrong because criticizing the president is NOT criticizing the troops. Your motivation for making the statement is because you are a republican--its a major republican political spin.

How exactly does it strenghten the enemy? I think seeing a powerful democracy in action intimidates the enemy and strenghtens those among them that would like to be a democracy, too.

Right. The Iraq war is Bush's and the Neocon Republicans plan, their responsibility, and their fault.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think sourdough makes a good point in that political dissent here strenghthens the enemy, because it makes them think if they just press hard enough and keep the roadside bombings coming, then the US will lose their resolve and pull out.

but that is democracy, you gotta put up with that crap.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

My motivation for making that statement is because I'm a republican?
    No, not really, its because the enemy hears things that strengthen them
    to fight us.
    I really couldn't give at rats behind about Bush when it comes to politics
    although the Democrats certainly didn't do anything to help him in 8 years.
    I like him as a human because he seems like a decent individual.

Funny how you can read my mind and know what my motivation is.
    I rest my case.

Its obvious we are a weakened and divided country.
    It will be interesting to see how many more years our country is around like
    we know it today.

7. red55

Insurgents are going to keep fighting us as long as we are there and it doesn't matter a damn what internal US politics are. Are you trying to say that if we just stay there forever and keep getting bombed that THIS will make the Iraqis lose their resolve and surrender? Sorry, martin, but this seems very naive.

Why not just take their American targets away and let the Rags kill each other.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

:dis:

9. col reb

col reb Founding Member

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

It doesnt matter what the free media reports about the war. All the Muslims are gonna here is the Al Jezeera propaganda which says we are weak and pathetic. IOf Ted Kennedy stood on the senate floor and said we should stay the course the Arab news networks would still report that America is soon to cut and run. That is why the dissent encouraging the enemy arguement is so stupid.