Supreme Court denies Clarett

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerlaw, Apr 22, 2004.

1. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It wil be intersting to see how the NCAA handles the situation with Clarrett and Williams if the court rules in favor of the NFL as expected since they issued the stay in the first place. I'm willing to bet that they let Williams regian his eligibilty if he goes to summer classes and that they deny Clarrett.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I doubt Clarett will even try to go back to college. He was NOT a student--and he couldn't even pretend to be for three short years.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

He needs to play football somewhere,IMO...Even if its the CFL or NFLEurope....Somewhere...It can't help just sitting around.

5. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

Here is my take on the situation. I think the NFL should step up and say, "Ok, any player no matter the age can come into the NFL, but if you haven't been out of High School for 3 years then you can only enter the supplemental draft". If they did this, there couldn't be any lawsuits on the NFL not giving young guys a chance to enter the NFL. In this case they would be able to enter the NFL through the supplemental draft. This also wouldn't hurt college football too much as most players would want to be in the "real" draft so they would go to school for atleast 3 years. The NFL will eventually lose this case in the long run no matter how hard they fight it. So they need to find a happy medium. And I think allowing them to enter the supplemental draft is NFL's way out.

Anyone agree??

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Not a bad idea, Scott...but I dunno...I would think that would put too much emphasis on the supplemental draft. It might turn into a 2 draft system as opposed to a 1 draft system with an extra draft like we have now...

7. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

well I don't think many players would actually do it. After all its all about the money and you don't get squat in the supplemental draft. And besides that, its only going to take a few busts for these young guys to realize they aren't as good as they think. I think you might have 1 or 2 guys a year actually do it. As opposed to if the ruling was that anyone could enter the regular draft you will have atleast 10-15 a year.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

ROFL @ Clarett.........

He isn't good enough to play in the NFL anyway, I heard on a draft special that he runs
    a 4.7 and that just isn't good enough.....

I hope he becomes a loser and doesn't make it just because of the whole situation he
    created, he thinks he's gods gift to football and I hope he gets a reality check soon.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Let 'em all "declare" themselves eligible for the draft, even junior high kids. I hate how this might impact college football but I really don't think that it will. How many sophmores are there out there that have a shot a being drafted ? I simply don't think that this will have as big an impact as some think. Why prevent someone from earning a living ? For me, the only drawback is the potential to hurt the continuity of college football program, which IMO is a selfish reason. Supply and demand will determine if they get drafted. If they don't hire a agent, they may even be able to still play college ball or at least the NCAA could consider it. I bet the NBA is hoping that the ruling stands so that they can have a basis to try out keep some of the high schoolers out of the NBA, that's what someone on ESPN radio was saying. I don't know enough about the NBA to know if this is really and issue or not.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm not sure that the NFL will ever lose this case. An employer has EVERY right to decide on eligibility criteria. I'm a teacher, and a college degree was REQUIRED for me to even apply for my job. There are many jobs like that, and still many others that require some college--like the NFL.

There are age restrictions everywhere you look. I guess, according to the theory that the NFL will lose, that age requirements for running of the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the Presidency are also unconstitutional--even though our founding fathers thought they were a good idea?

I don't think the NFL will lose this.