Supreme Court rules to keep "under god" in the pledge

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsugrad00, Jun 14, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,"

and you do not call "under god" resepcting an establishment of monotheism?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If the USA were a mostly Muslim country you would be a good Muslim, at least in public.

3. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

you cant justify it by saying "don't say it".

Sure you can. The Constitution forbids the Govt. from forming a religion, and then forcing us to join.
    I on the other hand have just as much right to say One Nation Under God as you have not to say it!!

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

*****BINGO*****

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Thomas Jefferson's words in the Declaration of Independence say that we are "endowed By Our Creator" with certain inalienable rights. He rewrote this draft many times making a point that referring to God was important.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

pay attention people.

i will put this in a syllogism to make it simple:

1. congrees shall make no law respecting establishment of religion.

2. "under god" clearly implies that a god exists, which is a religious statement. specifically it is a monotheistic religious statement.

the pledge is wrongly respecting an establishment of religion.

for a person whose religion is that there is no god, or that our creator was not a god, but rather a fire hydrant, this pledge goes against thair religion. and can't you understand that our government is not to make any pro or con stances on any religious topic?

cant you see? i am not into your religions! we are all part of a big club that should be independent of your beliefs, because not everyone has the same beliefs. why is the club that i pay into just as much as you, respecting the establishment of your religion? purely because you outnumber me? that is ridiculous.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

if god was so important, then why did he refer to "our creator" instead of "god".

you think if wanted to make a point he wouldnt leave me to interpret who or what this "creator" was.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

doesnt answer why he put it in a creator at all since that obviously refers to a higher being. What creator do you suppose he is referring to?

Why has each president been sworn in their Oath under God?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

who knows, i certainly know jefferson had some pretty negative views of christianity.

steven hawking will sometimes refer to a "prime mover" or creator of some sort. however, to make any specific reference to the creator is based on ignorance. at this point all we know is that we exist, we are totally ignorant of if we were created by a god or a higher being of any sort.

the presidential oath is as follows:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States

i dont see your god reference. i could be wrong, but i dunno what you are talking about.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

lets look at it this way, lets say i am atheist, and this is a conversation i have with my daughter:

daughter: dad, is there a god?
    me: i do not know, i wish i did, but i do not. sorry.
    d: who created me?
    me: my opinion is that i do not really know, it may or may not have been any number of things. the way i see it, we really have no idea.
    d: then why do we say a pledge under god at school, you just said that god may or may not exist, why am i being taught that god does exist?

i have no real answer for that, other than that you guys like to oppress me and my daughter and teach your fancy little beliefs to her. leave her alone!