Supreme Court rules to keep "under god" in the pledge

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsugrad00, Jun 14, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats a perfectly reasonable and smart opinion. i was joking when i said "leave her alone!". it not a big deal, i only discuss it for the sake of argument. i honestly barely give a damn, even though i think its wrong and stupid to say "under god".

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Then...don't...say....it.....

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont say it. but why should schools say tell kids to say it? you want to indoctrinate children with monotheism? i dont. i want parents to decide if their kids will be pledging to a god. i dont like big brother deciding religious things for children.

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Then...tell...your...kids...they...don't ...have...to..say...it...

...because...they...DON'T...HAVE...TO...say...it...

Is this really all THAT hard, martin?

For someone who says that they barely care (?) you certainly seem to want to take the long way around what seems to be a very easy and rational solution...

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

would be easier if the government would just not tell kids to pledge allegiance to god.

the answer should be that it is right or wrong, not just "ignore it". thats why i discuss it. i am aware that ignoring things is easy and its not a problem. i am pointing out that the government should be secular.

if you stole a penny from me, i dont care, but it doesnt make stealing any less wrong because i dont care about a penny. understand?

6. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

This isn't a partisan issue. I am a proud democrat(not liberal) and I believe in keeping our historical traditions in tact. B/w these gay marriages, taking God's law out of a court building, taking prayer out of schools, and now this. We better stop or there just may be consequences, just read the commandments. So those who believe in the true God better fight to stop this movement against God. Yes, I am a democrat talking this way

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

50 years ago, before the under god part was in the pledge, would you have argued for historical traditions then?

8. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

His argument isn't about tradition it's a thinly veiled argument for the establishment of laws based on Christian beliefs.

9. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Yes I would have. The pledge with its additions over the years is a representation of our traditions. Being one nation under God isn't the only tradition stated in that pledge.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

so you are in favor of changing "historical traditions", as long as its more towards religion. so you dont favor tradition so much as religion.

look, we dont live in a theocracy. not everyone in america is christian, or even believes in god.

don't be so self-centered, not everyone cares about your god. this is america, live and let live, dont bring your beliefs and put them in things the government pays for.

if you wanna worship your wizards, do so in your own house. but schools teach children that are not yours, and therefore should not be indoctricated with your religion.