T-Bob Hebert helmet slamming explanation not a slam dunk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsufan_in_ohio, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Fish, it happens all the time. If you are on offense and are leading the game and you kneel the ball and you are not forced to run another play because there is more time on the play clock than the game clock, players walk onto the field of play with helmets off before time has officially expired. You can't tell me you haven't seen that?

Expiration of the clock is not the only indicator that a game is over. The play is continued until the whistle is blown regardless of time on the clock. Hypothetically, an LSU player could have recovered the bad snap, ran the ball into the endzone and quite possibly the TD would have been negated because Hebert removed his helmet. He was way too premature in taking it off. The helmet rule does not apply to players on the sideline.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

in the exact same situation, you see players involved in the knell down play with their helmets off.

never seen a flag thrown on that one either.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

No, because clearly when JJ recovered the ball, the play is OVAH! There is no getting up from the ground and running, plus there was like 13 Tennessee players on him anyway. Unfortunately, JJ wasn't smart enough to realize the only thing to do there was fake like you're recovering it, and knock the ball out to the middle of the field...hoping that an LSU player would pick it up, and weave his way through the 13 defenders they had on the field when the ball was snapped.

Hebert took his helmet off when JJ recovered the ball...at which time the clock is at zero, and JJ is down. Ballgame.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

And if that isn't the case, then the UT players should be flagged for
    1)coming onto the field
    2)without THEIR helmets

Because if that isn't the case, then the play was NOT over, and the ball was still LIVE. That is in NO way like kneeling down and 5 seconds left on the clock the teams walk on the field. The play was either dead, and it's over...or the play was live, and they can't even be on the field yet. Pick your poison here.

5. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Fish, it's a good debate and I can live with the Hebert argument. I would have been very upset if the refs would have called that a penalty. What I have been arguing however, is the assertion that UT could have been penalized.....rule does not apply to them as it is written. They could have gotten a sideline warning.

It's not that cut and dry, so thank you for the debate and have a good night.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

No. Nothing's ovah til you admit I'm RIGHT.

:lol:

7. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

Sometimes we just see what we want, I'm guilty of peering thru P&G glasses,
    maybe yours have been tinted a tad orange ?

:geaux:

8. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Fish,
    I've been on the forum longer, but you have out posted me by over 5,000 - so let's call it a wash.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Fair enough. Hell, Tiga took a couple of years off, joined like 3 months before me, and has me more than double! And I've seen guys who joined in like '02, with under 100 posts. It's funny. :D

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member