T-Bob Hebert helmet slamming explanation not a slam dunk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsufan_in_ohio, Oct 4, 2010.

1. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

the thread shouldve been locked after this post.

if you argue that players walk on the field after a kneel down it's based on the assumption that the game is over.

guess what triple zeroes mean??

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

2theadvocate.com | SEC official says decisions correct

3. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Tiger Stadium West Dorm

If I am not mistaken un-sportsman penalties would be applied unless both teams had un-sportsman penalties. The play would have been replayed with the yardage assessed. But the Rule of ball down time expired would mean the game ended. It would ave been very marginal to call the penalty.
    The Vol players were set to the tune of plus two. If you watched, Dooley was trying to signal his players to the locker room before the call was made. That to me indicates he knew about the possible vol penality. Seldom have college teams ever been recalled from the locker rooms.

4. LSUtiger327

wait a minute, did i just agree with what SEC officials said. WTF is going on?

5. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Not necessarily. The rule once again....says nothing about the clock.

ARTICLE 3.
    b. The game is ended and the score is final when the referee so declares.

Red's quote of the "intent" is the factor left out of this discussion. Since there was a PENALTY, the Referees HAD NOT determined the game to be over, so technically they could have thrown the flag on Hebert and possibly UT players IF they determined the intent was malicious on either side.

6. LSUtiger327

they could do a lot of things.

they could have ruled that PI call vs randle in the back of the end zone uncatchable. but they didn't.

technically if the refs determine when a game is over, and determine intent, and determine whether a ball in uncatchable...

cody took off his helmet last year after blocking the tenn FG. no flag there. no flag here.

7. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

I agree with you....

8. Louisiananimal

Louisiananimal Wesley Austin

lane kiffin did the same thing last year when mount cody took his helmet off after blocking the game winning kick against alabama.... good no call

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

dude, everyone thought the game was over! it was a bit before anyone even realized there was a penalty! it took a while to get everyone off the field so they could have one more play.

how in god's name can a player be faulted for thinking the game was over. EVERYONE thought that! including both coaches!

10. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

I'm ready to stop defending my posts. I am not campaigning for a flag to have been thrown. What I'm trying to explain is that it doesn't matter what ANYONE on either team thought. The game was not over, read the rule I posted above. The refs knew there was a penalty before the snap, the fact that both teams jumped to conclusions is not relevant.

I'm glad it wasn't called....however, we've been screwed several times through the years by POOR and unusual calls that have cost us games, for example, the second try extra point at Auburn, the PI call at Auburn when the ball had been tipped.... And the way that game ended, nothing would have surprised me.