Target is now Unisex

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Aug 14, 2015.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I'm sure most everyone here has heard about Target taking the gender labels off of their toys. Surely don't want to offend the transgender crowd.

Some Facebook person made a fake Target account. Their responses to the people pissed about this are pretty funny.

LINK

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm going to go to a Target and ask where they keep the unisex tampons

HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I don't understand this crap. This is about the most stupid thing I've heard lately. What in the hell do they have against boys being boys and girls being girls? They are crossing a line here imo.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Are they just going to mix the toys together? That's rather annoying when a person is trying to get in and out of Target quickly, with a "gender specific" toy.

People are going nuts these days.

KyleK likes this.
  5. KyleK

This site tickles me. Every now and then when I click "like", it asks me if I really want to like this post. WTF? Makes me laugh every time.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I have a transgender sibling and I don't even get this. The only thing I can think of is its a marketing ploy. How is it going to help? Why not just donate the remodeling money to a charity that helps transgendered people.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

New Age people in the 70's started raising kids entirely gender unspecific so as not to bias them about gender roles in their future. Dolls were given to boys and girls, and the boys just dropped them and moved on. Toy trucks were given to both genders and the girls just dropped them and moved on. One commune I read about did not allow toy guns or dolls for their kids. But the kids knew better. Boys just picked up a stick and said, "this is a gun" and played army and cowboy. Girls would just stuff a sock with other socks and say, "this is my baby".

There are plenty of toys that are gender-neutral. Not a damn thing wrong with toys that cater to the interests of specific genders.

Now, if all they are doing is stop making girly things pink and boyish things blue, its no big deal. That was always silly. But trying to force kids to be unaware of their natural likes and dislikes is bad business.

Witness GI Joe. When it was introduced it was a barbie-sized doll that came with all sorts of uniforms. The toy industry had always wanted to be able to sell dolls to boys and this was their answer. Well . . . it was a flop. More girls wanted them as boyfriends for Barbie than boys. Boys didn't want to dress up a doll, even if he wa s soldier doll. What boys wanted was to set up toy soldiers in dirt forts and throw rocks at them. So eventually the toy company wised up and made GI Joe as a smaller "action figure" with his clothes built in and it became a huge hit.

They have to know their market. Girls are going to want fuzzy unicorns and boys will want a T-rex with long teeth. And those that want the other gender's toy can have it like they always have. The tomgirls always wore toy pistols and cowboy hats like us. And the sissies always made mud cookies and had tea parties with the girls. Some kids like to walk on the wild side. No big deal.

KyleK likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There were GI Joe commercials on Saturday mornings for years so I thought they were selling the shit out of them but nobody I knew ever had one

9. KyleK

I had one. Got it for Christmas. Used him to drive my Cox gas powered dune buggy in the sand dunes by my house. My brother's drove an army jeep. We would set up wars with them in the sand dunes. It was more about the gas powered vehicles than the dolls.

[​IMG]

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Used to do Insurance business with Target in Minneapolis. Strange people.

LSUDad likes this.