Televised sSports

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bengal B, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw that one of the ESPN channels had something on called Houston Outlaws vs Florida Mayhem. Not knowing what it could be I started watching. Was it a football game from the now defunct AAF? A soccer game? Maybe a WNBA game? No. It was a video game between 2 groups of adolescent nerds shooting at each other's player icons.

I had no idea what was happening, which team was winning or even how they score points. After 10 minutes and millions of exploded pixels the score was only 1-0 for Houston. There was even a play by play announcer, some guy with a British accent. From time to time during the action they would show insets of the players, none of whom looked like they had ever thrown, hit or dribbled a ball or swung a bat.

I had heard that eSports get massive viewership on Twitch which I have never watched but now it's on a mainstream media outlet. Is this what the world is coming to? Will all sports be defunct in 50 years or so? Will human evolution eventually decide that only a head and hands are necessary? Or maybe even disembodied brains controlling the action telepathically? Will there be Michael Jordans and Tom Bradys of video games making enormous amounts of bitcoins for playing and for endorsing products?

2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

[​IMG]
    "I'm the greatest of all time"​

fanatic and Bengal B like this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

One of the best (of many) episodes of South Park ever.