Tell about your very first job

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by phlashman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

first real job, i was 14 and was a pigeon loader at a gunshop. i pretty much stayed in the little trap for a few hours until it was my turn to keep score. it was the only time i actually messed with someone with a loaded gun. they would get so pissed. good job. right after that summer, i worked at the corner store as a carry out for four years. started as a bag boy and when i left, i was placing orders, making schedules, and in charge of deliveries and the front end. i was rolling in the cash back then!

2. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

Was it the one on Plank between Prescott and Mohican, or the newer one down by Airline (presuming it was in BR)?

My first job: When I was 15 my older brother worked for a house builder and they hired me to come in behind the cement guys and break down all the frames for the slabs. I got $30 a slab, and I think I lasted about a month. Moved on to bussing tables and dishwashing at El Chico's at Corporate Mall. Navy after that.

3. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

It was in Texas.

4. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Oh no...those two will be out of touch for at least a day or two:rofl:

5. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Did ya have to tie their little legs together and give em a blindfold and a cigarette??? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

6. Luv4LSU

Luv4LSU Founding Member

First job was working for the maintenance department for a hospital here in Baton Rouge operating an incinerator. Yes, that bad boy got up to 2800 degrees and cooked everything from cafeteria garbage to whatever surgery threw in the red hazardous boxes.

During the weekdays of the summer I did touch-up painting, replaced tv's when they went out, and changed light bulbs in the stairwells. Gosh could I tell you stories about doctors and nurses in stairwells and people coming into the ER...but that's a totally different thread.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I didn't mention my early job as a Pioneering merit badge instructor at Scout Camp for three summers. It didn't seem like real work out there camping for six weeks, rappelling, sailing, canoeing and hanging out on a great waterfront camp with good fishing and a rifle range. It also didn't pay like real work. My first summer when I was 15, I was paid $16 a week plus room and board!

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I totally forgot the coolest job I ever had. I was a Republican Paige for the US House of Representatives. Billy Tauzin was my sponsor. It was an awesome summer. I met Dennis Hastert and was on C-Span daily.

The best part of working on the hill was hearing James Traficant's 1 minute speaches every morning. He always ended them by saying "Beam me up Mr. Speaker." He was also a really coold guy. He is in jail now for taking bribes.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Trainasse? :yelwink2:

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

14 years old, I ran a snowball stand in Kaplan.

25 cents on the dollar of what I sold is what I made.

By the end of that summer, I had the most horrible ant problem.

I still served up those tasty snowballs, however. Ants or no ants. :hihi: