Tell me about Wroten

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Jul 21, 2004.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

My biggest concern for this year is the D-line. Lavalais seemed to be the leader and was always causing havoc. There were also a couple of times when I read about him yelling out to his teammates what the offense was going to run before the snap. He was an easy guy to root for and had a great story of overcoming obstacles to finally make it to LSU.

I don't really know anything about Wroten but a lot of Tiger fans are claiming he's all-world. I'm certainly hoping that's true but we all heard the same thing about Torran Williams. What type of DT is Wroten? Is he an active guy who demands a double-team like Lavalais/McFarland (thus freeing up the DE's) or is he a run stuffer more like Tommie Harris? Is his hype derived more from high school/JC play or from LSU practices? Also, what kind of personality does he have, laid back or more of a take charge guy?

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Everything I had heard about Wroten during the Sugar Bowl practices especially as well as the spring workouts was that he was a monstah. Now we will have to wait and see but I am expecting the same reports when the players report this fall. I am pretty sure he will be lining up on Andrews and Livings side during practice and as a tackle battling with Big Ben too and if he can beat those guys I think we will have a good one on our hands.

He's actually bigger than Chad and strength is supposed to be his biggest asset, unlike CL who used his quick first step and great hands to beat his opponent, except for the play vs Ole Miss when he knocked the guard back into Eli. :lol:

I wouldn't compare him to Harris at this point as Harris was actually a lot like Chad whereas quickness was his best attribute. and Chad was a run stuffer also, not a great pass rusher. It will also be interesting to see if they play Wroten, Williams and whoever else we have inside straight up like they did most of the time last year. I think that is the technique the LSU coaches prefer.

3. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

He looked real good in the spring game..........I don't see a drop off between him and Chad, JMO.

4. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

sounds like this guy works the hardest in practice... it will pay off

5. max

max Founding Member

5 Star Big DT from JC

Lived up to billing during Spring Game batting down a pass and bull rush

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I really think the D-line will be just as good if not better than last year.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This line will be one of the best in the country. But totally dominant defensive All-Americans like Lavalais only come along so often. It's going to be a different kind of line this year with a dominant All American end instead. Wroten will not step in on game one and replace Lavalais. But if he can play at an All-SEC caliber by mid-season, I'll be very happy.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yeah I have problems when people say someone being better than Lavalais or this defense will be better than last years when it was quite possibly the best defense we have ever had. I prefer to see it before getting that far ahead.

However, it is rather interesting when you try to name the starters on the D-Line and can name Oliver/Williams/Spears/Pittman/Dorsey/Wroten/Favorite all being major contributors. There really aren't any true starters since Saban uses them situationally. Very seldom this is possible on the college level to be that deep at the most scarce position. I've never seen that at LSU to this extent....not sure i have seen it anywhere. Great 'problem' to have. Texas has always had the names that never had the production. Oklahoma may be the one team who is closest. Need I say defense wins championsh..... ok I won't.