Tell me about your secondary..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dawg_o_rama, Sep 17, 2003.

1. dawg_o_rama

dawg_o_rama Freshman

I've seen very little talk of this key area...while LSU fans love their WRs..UGA has some quality at this position as well..Gibson or not.

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Here's a very brief overview...

Cory Webster - Pre Season All-SEC by every group, coaches, AP, writers, SEC Media Days...etc...League leader in interceptions last year, and had 2 last week (and could have had 4). 6-1, 185, very physical, very quick. One of the nation's best. He's only a junior, thanks to Prop 48 stipulations that he's met.

The other CB will be either Randall Gay or Ronnie Prude.

Randall Gay is a 4 year starter at cornerback, and has been quite consistent, and quite effective.

Ronnie Prude is a Prop 48 junior, but he's on track, so he's actually just a RS Sophomore. He's 6-1, 175, and he's another in the Cory Webster mold of a tal physical guy with lots of speed. He's faster than Webster, IMO, and he's got more breaking speed. For such a young player, he's got the "watch and bait the quarterback, then break on the ball" technique down beautifully. I'm not gushing here, but he has amazing closing speed and has a nose for the ball.

At safety, we've got Travis Daniels, a junior who burned a RS year in the SECCG to come out and lock down the secondary when Demetrius Hookfin(or Hookfear) went out with a sprained ankle (or was it Gay?). He was supposed to RS the next year, but injuries again made it necessary for him to play. One would think on the surface he's too light to play safety, but he hits much harder than I thought he would at the position. I think he's adequate at best in run support, though his counterpart at safety more than makes up for it.

Jack Hunt is the other safety. Like Webster, he's another converted wide receiver, and I honestly listed him as a question mark this year until his athleticism and tackling ability improved. His position also requires all sorts of reads and checks to be made to help set LSU's defense.

He answered my questions in the first game, and against Arizona, made me feel bad for asking them...He's put on a good 10-15 pounds of muscle in the offseason, bringing him right up to 200 pounds, and he's still quick and athletic, and made a freakish interception and touchdown return against ULM. He's a hard hitter, a quick closer, and he's EXCELLENT as a run supporter.

Gay is returning from a broken arm this week, so he'll probably be the nickelback, or star back, in Saban's system, and we have two true freshmen at safety backing up in LaRon Landry and Jesse Daniels. Saban was wary of putting them there, but Landry hardly knew what he was doing in the 1st scrimmage and ended up with 10 tackles, so his instincts won Saban's instincts over...

That's all I can think of right now...I might add more later...

P.S.--> If things get hairy, we put Michael Clayton in at Safety. Coming out of HS, he was all-State as both a wideout, AND at safety. He was in for one or two plays against Arizona, and he may see action against Arizona if an injury occurs or someone gets gassed.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Why bother? You will just come back with how great your receivers are and how they've demolished every secondary for the past 6 games and how we've played no one and how stats are meaningless. Shoot. To listen to you guys we couldn't match up against Pollack, Greene and the waterboy. Forget it. You guys need to learn to respect your opponent.

4. TigerEducated

Our secondary trounced the quarterback that punked Jawja last year....a little man named Rex Grossman was Cory Webster's personal b!tchboy....I think #13 had THREE picks and one TD return...

Effectively pushed the handle down to begin the flush down the toilet of UF's season last year...

Oh, wait...I'm sorry....who did you guys lose to last year?

5. dawg_o_rama

dawg_o_rama Freshman

Thanks "TE"..the others in the thread clearly

don't know enough to answer...

6. TigerEducated

You're welcome, DOR...

We have the most talented defensive backfield since the beginning of last year (we had some attrition that affected us over the course of the year). Defensively, on the whole, we didn't have the talent along the defensive line we have now (Or, better put, we didn't have the talent DEVELOPED as we do now), and we had an amazing four year starter at linebacker in Bradie James that was a defensive and team leader.

But, all things considered, this has the makings of the strongest defense at LSU during the Saban Era....That's saying something since last year, until we lost Damien James, or 5th year starting Safety who made ALL the checks on defense, and had to replace him with Jack Hunt, a guy who was just not physically ready, we were #1 in the nation in defense.

BTW-We "slipped" to #7 in total defense that year...

7. dawg_o_rama

dawg_o_rama Freshman

Sounds like if we are to win

itll be with some ST and defensive "magic". I think you'll be amazed at Greenes ability no matter how relentless or strong the passrush may or may not be...he's quick getting the ball out of there and good at changing the play at the line.

8. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

sorry Eduacated I think I might've misjudge you, that was a pretty educated answer to his question. Sorry I labeled you to the like's of Tigah. You seem alright, so no hard feelings about yesterday.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Thanks "TE"..the others in the thread clearly

OK. First of all, there is no point in trying to expand upon TE's very fine post on the subject.

Secondly,
    That's exactly what I'm talking about.

10. dawg_o_rama

dawg_o_rama Freshman

Sabanfan

What part of my post about Greenes quick release or play recognition showed any lack of respect for LSU? I simply said...wether rushed or not he'll get us in the right situation most of the time...his record speaks for itself. Hell the SEC coaches thought enough of him to name him SEC Freshman of the Year in 2001 and Offensive player of the year last year..these are post-season not preseason honors. Is it such a stretch to think he'll do "ok" against even the most daunting of defenses?