Ten Juniors Declared?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Attack Tiger, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

When's the last time LSU got ten players drafted, PERIOD? Even if they all managed to get picked up, they can't ALL be sniffing first-day money. I bet a good third of them don't even get drafted...history and statistics are far and away against them. I just don't understand all these decisions. I'm not saying there's a problem they're running away from in the program, but dayum!

However, if they somehow all manage to get drafted, it'll really be something.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

A few of them will waste their futures on this gamble.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Mike Detillier:

“This is the most LSU players I have seen coming out that are not expected to go until the third round or so,” said Detillier, an analyst for WWL Radio in New Orleans who has been following LSU’s drafts closely for more than two decades. “A lot of these young men want to play in the NFL and want to get paid. And many of them brought up family and obligations influencing their decision.”

Middle linebacker Kevin Minter, the first LSU junior to declare last Thursday, did bring up his family’s financial situation and the desire to help his mother. Minter is projected to go in the middle to late portion of the second round. He could earn in the neighborhood of $4 to $5 million over four years with $2.8 to $3 million of that guaranteed and a signing bonus in the $1.2 to $1.5 million range, according to salary projections based on recent years.

“Even a third or fourth round pick gets paid a lot,” Detillier said. “Fourth round money is about $350,000 a year in salary and a $250,000 to $300,000 signing bonus.”

this is where Detillier thinks they'll go in the Draft according to what he told Glenn Guilbeau:

Mingo -- top 10 overall
    Montgomery -- top 20 overall
    Reid -- late 1st Round
    Logan -- late 1st Round
    Minter -- 2nd Round
    Faulk -- 2nd-4th round
    Simon -- 3rd-5th round
    Ware -- 3rd-5th round
    Wing -- 3rd-5th round
    Ford -- 4th-5th round

4. Attack Tiger

TF, you're a stat guy...what's the most we've ever seen get drafted in a single year? Even in '07, we had four go in the first, then a grand total of one or two in the remaining six rounds.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I don't know. Of the guys who were a reach, i don't think Ford or Ware could have improved their stock much, Simon has a gaggle of kids and needs the money, not sure about Faulk but who else is a real reach?

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

So this is a good breakdown. Hill is going to be featured at RB so Ware and Ford wouldn't have improved their stock much and they are RB's which have short shelf life. Wing loves the pot too much but is a freaking punter so if he gets drafted at all he made the right decision. Simon had family issues and Faulk is a bit of a reach. Now we're hearing Minter had family issues but second round money is still very good. The first rounders are pretty much no brainers.

stevescookin likes this.
  7. Attack Tiger

My question is...how many of them will NOT get drafted? This seems like a really high number from the same school...and it doesn't even count our seniors.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Faulk on down to Ford are gambling. Willing to bet a few of them won't be on practice squads in a few seasons. Wing definately could've used another year to get back to '11 form. He let the fame go to his head imo.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That is a lot to replace.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Take notes Titanic.

HalloweenRun likes this.