Tennessee's New Coach?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 12, 2010.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

late 30's is the new teens. he's just a pup.

i think its pretty clear the Tx job is significantly better, but im sure what Will knows about Mack retiring is the deciding factor.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I disagree that the Texas job is "tons better" than the Tennesse job but the recruiting issue is valid. It is tougher to recruit at Tenn than Texas but it's not impossible. Many great classes have come to Tennessee and will continue to do so with a good recruiter.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's tons better, the recruiting issue alone makes it tons better.

4. mobius481

Not if you have to wait ten years for it.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Mack brown rakes them in every year, he doesn't wait 10 years for anything other than championships and that has more to do with his coaching ability than it does the talent available to them. The comparison was between the two head coaching jobs and the Texas job is clearly better. However If I were Muschamp I'd take the Tennessee gig. Brown isn't going anywhere soon and the Texas HC job isn't guaranteed for him no matter what his contract says. For a first time head coach the Tennessee job would be a good get.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

At this point is Muschamp's career, he's just like Gene Chizik was right before Iowa State hired him (a very successful DC at Auburn and TX). If I was Tennessee, I'd be aiming higher.

The plus for Tennessee is that Muschamp is an SEC boy (he's been in the SEC for 12 years as a player and a coach... he's only spent 2 years in the Big 12). Both he and his wife are from GA (so going to Knoxville would put them back by their families). Also, Muschamp was born and raised 3 hours from Knoxville, and he went to college and got his first 3 coaching jobs all within 5 hours of Knoxville, so he's got some experience recruiting and feeling at home in that neck of the woods.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i brought up the possible muschamp to tenn bit with my phys therapist today. he is a big ou fan and therefore, a huge anti-texas person.

he said he would love to see muschamp to tenn. he said he hates muschamp. i couldnt figure that one out and looked at him like he had turnips growing out of his head. he said he hates muschamp cause hes so good!

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

If I was Tenn, the first person I'd contact is Jon Gruden. Gruden got his first coaching job at Tennessee, and that is where he met his wife, who was born and raised near the University of Tennessee, was a Tennessee cheerleader, and was a Tennessee grad student when Gruden met her. I read somewhere that Gruden and his wife still own property in Knoxville.

However, it appears Tenn already contacted Gruden:

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton reached out to former NFL coach Jon Gruden late Tuesday night but was turned down, a source close to the situation told Sporting News.
    Hamilton initiated talks with Gruden, a former UT assistant, NFL head coach and current NFL analyst, last year before he hired Kiffin. Hamilton was turned down then, as well. Gruden recently extended his contract with ESPN.
    Some of the names surfacing as potential candidates for the job:

Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp: Muschamp makes $1 million a year and has been promised the Texas job once coach Mack Brown steps down. He told SN during the week of the BCS championship game that he and his family love Austin and that he couldn't see "any job" pulling him from Texas.

Duke coach David Cutcliffe: If you're looking for someone who knows the Tennessee way and can heal some of the hurt and embarrassment of the last 14 months, Cutcliffe is a perfect fit. The longtime UT assistant, who has done an admirable job in a tough situation at Duke, would slide right in to the job with little transition needed.

Houston coach Kevin Sumlin: He was at the top of the list when Florida coach Urban Meyer resigned for less than a day. He pulled out of the Cincinnati job and likely would leave Houston only for the perfect scenario.

Jon Gruden turns down Tennessee's advances - Matt Hayes, Sporting News - College Football - Sporting News

It's not a surprise Jon Gruden's name quickly came up in speculation regarding the Tennessee coaching vacancy. It's also not a surprise he declined [the offer] when contacted by Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton Tuesday night...the ESPN analyst has made it clear he likes his current gig, and we can't imagine him returning to coaching except at the pro level. Pete Carroll said it Tuesday: the competition is the best in the NFL, and that's why he wanted to prove he could compete with the best. After all, if Lane Kiffin landed two of the best jobs in the country in back-to-back years, how great could college football be?
    :lol:

Report: Jon Gruden contacted by Tennessee | ProFootballTalk.com

9. mobius481

We agree that Muschamp should take this because of timing and we agree that being the head coach at Texas is better than being the head coach at Tennessee. I just don't see it as "tons better". You have a storied program with a team that consistently fills up a 100,000+ stadium in the best conference. Texas is a better job, but Tennessee is also a great job imo.:thumb:

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Just got off the phone with Uncle. The trustee's and boosters are taking a big role in this search. They are going to make Muschamp turn down upwards of 3M to stay at Texas. Things moving fast but its chaos in the AD office. Hamilton is on the phone constantly and many of the calls are trustee's and boosters.