Terrence Toliver undrafted?? Seriously?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Apr 30, 2011.

1. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

I was shocked to know Terrence Toliver went undrafted after Saturday's pick, since most draft analysts believed he would be a late third round to middle fifth round pick. How is this happening? I really feel bad for TT because he maybe should have been drafted much higher than now when he just left high school. Shall we blame Les' run-first offense or JJ for destroying such a talented wide receiver? How will his destiny end up like after this point? Is signing as a free agency still possible for him (and Jasper) given the NFL lockout? I was afraid of that TT's adverse example would scare high school WRs away from LSU.

1 person likes this.
  2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not really surprised

He had too many negatives...

Consistently inconsistent throughout his career. Too many drops, doesn't get great separation, not great speed, not a great route runner, etc...

However, he does have some upside and height and a team will likely see if they can get him in there as a FA and see if they can work out the negatives.

FA are left in the cold until the labor disputes are resolved.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

at the combine, Toliver was #3 of all WRs in the 3-cone, and #4 of all WRs in the shuttle. however, he was beat in both events by both Oregon's Jeff Maehl and Ohio State's Dane Sanzenbacher, and neither of them got drafted either. and both of them had great senior seasons: Maehl had 1,076 yards, 12 TDs and Sanzenbacher had 948 yards, 11 TDs.

all three of them ran a forty in the 4.52-4.56 range, which was middle-range

one event that all three of them sucked at was their vertical leap, Toliver was bottom 4 out of 37 WRs tested, and both Maehl and Sanzenbacher were in the bottom 9

another thing that all three of them sucked at was that all three of them were among the 8 or so WRs that didn't do the bench press reps. WRs don't have to do it, but by not doing it, it looks like you're not good at blocking downfield, especially when you had other WRs there putting up bench press numbers similar to 1st-Round defensive ends

still, I'd love the Saints to sign one of those three as a free agent

also, here are some other Div-1 WRs that had great senior seasons that nobody took in the draft:
    Jordan White: 1,378 yards, 10 TDs
    Lyle Leong: 926 yards, 19 TDs
    Kris Adams: 1,070 yards, 14 TDs
    Armon Binns: 1,101 yards, 10 TDs
    Juan Nunez: 1,032 yards, 10 TDs
    Armand Robinson: 1,062 yards, 6 TDs
    Cole Beasley: 1,060 yards, 6 TDs
    Lester Jean: 988 yards, 8 TDs
    Chris Matthews: 925 yards, 9 TDs
    Owen Spencer: 912 yards, 4 TDs

1 person likes this.
  4. joker

joker Founding Member

Maybe we should blame TT for never taking his talent to the next level.

Sure JJ sucks as a passer but TT dropped more than his fair share.

Dude never looked like he was 100% in the game. Never looked like he was giving 100% of his effort and his production on the field is all the evidence you need.

This should be a lesson to all the young talent coming up. You have limited chances to make your mark. Better bust your ass and give 110% or you are likely giving up millions.

And if you are a receiver, better learn to catch the damn ball.

1 person likes this.
  5. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

So it was all about his inconsistent performance and sloppy combine stats. But what the hell have happened this year? NFL teams just ignored all these talents because they probably didn't need WRs. It seemed to be a bad year for WRs who attended the draft, while 38 CBs were drafted....

6. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Doesn't surprise me. He'll probably end up on someone's practice squad or in the UFL of Arena League or something. Bhelm's right, too many drops, way too inconsistent.

7. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

I personally think he'll be a steal

8. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

Agreed. I'm also surprised that Josh Jasper didn't get drafted as well. I think he has a future in the NFL.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I suspect you're in the minority.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Kickers don't get drafted much anymore after some high-profile mistakes. Kickers may even be better off as free agents because teams change kickers frequently depending on who is available on the free agent market. They sometimes get a chance to shop around for a situation that fits. It is a rare kicker these days who sticks for decades on one team.