Terrence Toliver undrafted?? Seriously?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Toliver would have to pack on 10-15 pounds of solid muscle to be like Colston, who is huge for a WR like Bama's Julio Jones and UNC's Greg Little

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

He could have had John Elway throwing to him and I doubt that it would have made one iota of difference.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

think of it like basketball, how you need your bigs so you can dominate in the paint, that's the kind of WR Colston is (and again, Toliver would have to pack on 10-15 lbs of solid muscle to be built like Colston). Colston's best at going over the middle and dealing with contact when trying to make catches. yeah, being that kind of WR might not be flashy and it might not get you on your average fan's Top 10 WR list (although ESPN's Pat Yasinskas had him on his Top Ten WR list last month), but being that kind of WR has resulted in Colston (27 years old) being only one of seven WRs in the NFL to have had at least four 1,000-yard seasons in the last 5 years, the others being Larry Fitzgerald (also 27 years old), Brandon Marshal (also 27), Andre Johnson (29), Roddy White (29), Reggie Wayne (32) and Donald Driver (36)

1 person likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I said nothing about the NFL and care less. :huh:

Try to pay better attention. What I said was that a receivers stats are lowered when his quarterback is 11th in the SEC in passes attempted. That's all. Stone hands or not, Tolliver got fewer balls than most starting SEC wideouts. A receiver seeking top stats does not purposefully seek a school that doesn't throw much. Don't try to read any more into it.

Hoss, I don't give a damn about the NFL. I made a comment about a receivers stats being affected by his quarterbacks effectiveness. Live with it.

5. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

It's actually funny that you think they don't. They damn sure do. They just won't let it be the sole determinant...

And oh yeah...Marques Colston is most definitely an elite receiver. By all accounts. He's not likely to make ESPN top plays, but at season's end, he will have put in tremendous work. Top ten lists are arbitrary and almost always favor the flashy, fast guys.

Colston and Reggie Wayne (who many deem as #1, no lower than say #3) are practically the same receiver. They catch everything thrown in their vicinity. They catch for possession. They're hell in the red zone. They're big guys. They're not fast by edge players standards, so it's rare you'll see them have a long catch and run. But they run perfect routes and the QB doesn't have to wonder what's gonna happen when he throws the ball his way. Colston is among the best, as evidenced by the Saints refusal to let him hit free agency. That dude would've been snapped up quickly by some team seeking a dependable #1.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Colston is alot better in the slot though. I think Tolliver will end up on a team somewhere because of his length, he can block, he just needs to be motivated. Ever notice how Tolliver played like a man on a mission when Lee was quarterbacking, and couldn't catch a cold when Jefferson was playing? (other than the cotton bowl)

He will make a team if he decides this is what he wants to do and needs to work at it.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

He consistently stands out in an offense that doesn't focus on one receiver, but rather spreads the ball around to about seven different pairs of hands. One person has started their career with more catches than Marques Colston in the history of the NFL.

One.

Product of the system my ass. He suffers from the same dilemma as Marvin Harrison who for years was an unknown product in Indy, despite ranking among the league leaders in receptions, yards, etc. year after year. No one pays him any attention because he doesn't make an ass of himself, no TD dances, no celebrations, no tweets, etc. He's a guy that shuns the limelight, but shows up for three hours a week as the consummate professional.

The average NFL not knowing who Colston is isn't his fault; It's theirs...

2 people like this.
  8. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

If there were a "like" button on here I would've pressed it dozens of times.

9. tlo1507

tlo1507 Veteran Member

MLU tiger I don't wanta be a dick since we are all LSU fans here but just so you know Brandon Marshall who was also a rookie in 2006 has more catches then Colston so you may wanta check your stats before posting

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I didn't say his rookie year. I said "started his career". Reggie Bush is #1 and Colston is #2 in catches for the first two years of their career. I've heard it numerous times over during Saints games, so I figured if I heard it everyone must know it by now. But let's say I'm wrong. It changes nothing.