Terri Schiavo case is tragic

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree that they should let this woman die. However, I disagree that she should be starved to death. I know, right or wrong, euthanasia is illegal, but I think it's more humane then starving someone to death. Where's Dr. Kevorkian when he's needed?

3. Sourdoughman

LSUsupaFan also!
    Finally someone who makes some sense.
    I don't like Dr. Death and think its wrong but if someone has to die and I can't
    stop it, at least find some humane way to do it.
    I'm blown away by some posters here, they think starving to death someone
    is A-ok, or normal, common procedure?
    Nothing personnal, just by your responses!

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Is there any insrance money involved if she dies. I don't see why the husband is so dead set against therapy.

5. Sourdoughman

From the Fox news link in my post a above:
    "Bobby Schindler, Terri's brother, told NBC's "Today" from Washington on Saturday that the woman's family still believes she can improve with therapy.

"It's clear to us Terri is very much alive and she just needs help," he said. "There's a reason why Michael and his attorney are trying so hard to keep Terri from the public and I would just welcome the opportunity to bring Terri outside and allow the world to see her."

Both sides accused each other of being motivated by greed over a $1 million medical malpractice award from doctors who failed to diagnose the chemical imbalance.

"There's nothing there. There's no money. No money at all," Michael Schiavo said.

The Schindlers also said Michael Schiavo wants their daughter dead so he can marry his longtime girlfriend, with whom he has young children. They have begged him to divorce their daughter, and let them care for her.

In 2001, Schiavo went without food and water for two days before a judge ordered the tube reinserted when a new witness surfaced.

When the tube was removed in October 2003, her parents and two siblings frantically sought intervention from Gov. Jeb Bush to stop her slow starvation. The governor pushed through "Terri's Law," and six days later the tube was reinserted.

6. Sourdoughman

1 more thing...
    Michael Schiavo says his wife told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, saying she could get better and that their daughter has laughed, cried, smiled and responded to their voices. Court-appointed physicians testified her brain damage was so severe that there was no hope she would ever have any cognitive abilities.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not me. If those were truly her wishes then she should have had a living will drawn up. If I die without a will and my son says "my Dad wanted me to get everything", that wouldn't mean squat if I didn't have it in a will. Schiavo's parents want the husband to divorce her so they can devote their lives to caring for her. The selfish bastard ought to do that. Thiis is bullsh!t. It takes 15 years to execute a GD murderer/rapist, but the f*cking judge is hell bent on killing this young woman. :po: :po:

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Yea, does anybody have a reason why he won't divorce her? Is there a procedural issue or something that makes it impossible??

I still just can't believe they're starving this woman. The more I think about it, the more upset I get about it.

9. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

From what I know, there is no insurance money left. Even being a medical professional i agree that letting her starve is a little inhumane, but remember she probably has as much function as an earthworm right now. the only thing functioning with her is her brain stem, which isn't much.

The Netherlands have a really liberal policy regarding euthanasia and assisted suicide. I had to write a paper last semester in my bioethics class on the netherlands policy. it is really interesting the success they are having at making sure it is not abused.

Think of it this way, her rising medical cost will be left for the hospital to absorb, all the nurses, doctors, PTs, RTs, pharmacists, and other medical personal are being wasted right now on a person who has not been cognizent for the past 10 years and never will be.

The question that I would like to discuss is "How inhumane is it to euthanize her as opposed to letting her waste away for a month?"

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm astonished.

For once, I agree with martin. This question is too hard. But I can't believe he didn't jump on governmental interference in a private matter. This decision is a family decision and families have to make these calls every day. The Schiavo case is just a political hot potato that this family shouldn't ave to go through. The congress, the legislature, the governor and the media should stay out of it.

The husband should be able to make a decision as the closest relative, in my opinion, but the parents have a right to make their feelings known. They have, now just let a competent judge decide and then leave this family alone.