Terri Schiavo case is tragic

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Mar 18, 2005.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

First off, it's hearsay...

Secondly, you should really do a little research before spouting off on what you believe hearsay is under the law. You might be surprised what you find out.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

It's official, Sourdoughman has lost his marbles.

Sourdoughman and every other person making up bogus facts don't care about Terri. They care about pushing their agenda. Underneath all this lies people with something to gain - people who are anti-abortion & anti-death penalty.

It's sickening that they are using Terri for their own gain.

These people that think the country is going to hell and we'll be killing people for fun next week are nuts. You are a radical and its pathetic that you make decisions based on nothing but made up beliefs and construed, if at all real, "facts".

3. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Dead on, thank you.

It all comes back to what islstl said, would anyone honestly want to see one of their family members like this? I know I wouldn't. If I was her I'd want the plug to be pulled on me.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

There shouldn't even be any more damn debate on that. She freaking said she wouldn't want to live like that. These people arguing against it are the insensitive ones.

5. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I agree with you about people pushing their agenda. This is obviously about a clash of philosophy more than it is anything else. I find myself disagreeing with your description of those who are in favor of keeping Schiavo alive, though. I'd say it lines up more like this:

"Pro-life", or conservative or right-wing:

-anti-abortion
    -pro-death penalty
    -anti-euthanasia
    -pro-prayer in school
    -pro gun rights

vs.

"Pro-choice", or liberal or left-wing:

-abortion rights
    -anti-death penalty
    -pro-right to die at the least and sometimes outright pro-euthanasia
    -anti-prayer in school
    -pro gun control

-tell me if I'm wrong about their respective positions.....
    -which positions would you say better describe the people who founded this country? Or which positions would you say better described the majority of people even in the 1950's? Now fast-forward to the year 2005, what percentage would it be? My point is that the beliefs/morals of the country are clearly evolving. For you to suggest that this case isn't going to have an effect on things is naive. I don't think we'll be killing old people next week. It may take a few years to get there.....most likely when the baby boomers have been retired a while and the younger generation is getting tired of paying for their social security and health care costs....that's when it will be financially expedient to begin killing off the old people. Let's not jump the gun, give us time would you?

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

This is the problem. As martin is always pointing out, these things are unrelated. It's assinine to group them all together and just because you believe one doesn't mean you believe any of the others. I'm pro-choice, currently undecided on death penalty, willing to accept case-by-case scenarios for right to die, pro-do whatever the hell you want that doesn't effect me including gay marriage & prayer in school. I also believe in moderate gun control.

The only one of these beliefs that effects this Terri situation is whether I believe in euthenasia.

Alright, I'm having trouble sensing where the sarcasm is. You appear to be a person who does believe that society is crumbling. This case will have an effect on things, I never said the contrary.

7. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

-The only sarcastic part was the last line.

-Yes, you're right. I do think that, and it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in history. Check out Rome, Greece, Egypt, Byzantium, Ottoman Empire, maybe a few of the Chinese dynasties.....it's just a shame it has to happen to us, that's all.

No but you said this:
    -I just thought I would match your hyperbole....

CParso, I have no problem with people disagreeing, I just can't take the opposition saying "they're crazy.....they're idiots", etc. It's just not the case and their are plenty of very intelligent people who have had different ideas on issues like marriage, government control over people's lives, gun control, abortion, the existence of God, etc. How about cloning? Where do you stand on that? Man's ability to manipulate nature is getting out of control if you ask me and I don't think it bodes well for the future, not one bit.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Very True. Other empires have fallen because they try and control people's actions & beliefs. The key is to balancing the two.

Usually I would just disagree and the proceed to discuss it. However I had to be at work for 6:30 this morning when I'm not used to waking up till about 10, so I'm a little cranky - sorry about that.

The problem with intellectual people is that alot of time they aren't using intellect to make their decision. For instance, I'm sure your religion & beliefs derived from church guide your stance on this particular case (& everything else mentioned earlier) more than your intellect. Of course you could argue that the two go hand in hand, but I'd have to disagree.

I agree that man's ability to manipulate nature is getting out of control. However, the govt can't stop it. They can try, in which they would only delay anything that would eventually be done anyway.

I'm against human being cloning, not against cloning human body parts or animals per say. I think regulations need to be put on it though.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

It is JVincent and Cparso losing their marbles not I.
    You are in denial!

You just want to blame me for your denial while you won't go to foxnews.com or any
    other link I posted and at least question this whole situation.
    All you had to do is go to msnbc.com, Joe Scarborough or watch his show.
    The same thing for Fox news or under politics their.
    Terri's former Neuralogist and nurse tell quite a different story than you hear anywhere
    else.

I'm crazy because I showed the links, proof that there are another side to this story and I'm an idiot or crazy?
    You disagree, don't even go and see the story yet I'm crazy?
    Remember our little misunderstanding yesterday Jvincent?
    Sorry some of you are so pro-death no matter what.
    May God have mercy on our soles!
    I hope this never happens to anybody else including you 2 and your familes.
    I have empathy, why don't you?

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Aren't these nurses & doctors you mention the ones that lost in court for telling Terri's husband that she could come out of this and she would be fine?

Don't accuse me of not having empathy. I have empathy because I don't want a poor soul to suffer. I had the discussion with my mom last night & neither of us would want to live in that state (WE TALKED ABOUT IT BEFORE, JUST LIKE TERRI). Thus, the empathetic thing to do would be to pull the plug.

I've done the research & read the articles. That is why I haven't posted until now. I waited to get all the information before making an ass of myself and posting links to rediculous church websites to support my theories.

You think that the husband has a hidden agenda yet you refuse to believe that these pro-life people do.