Terry Bowden breaks down the numbers...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by saltyone, Apr 13, 2008.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Very interesting look at last year's top ten teams...

You may not think much of Terry's coaching ability, but there is no denying that he is a great student of the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...vrYF?slug=tb-spring041208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Also, look at his PDF for an even more detailed break down of the top teams.....

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Am4Qgm....yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/ncaaf/newbowdenchart4.pdf

2 people like this.
  2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

It's a good analysis... right on the money.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

My comment about our two championship teams recently is I'm struck by the absence of superstars, but what I notice is we have no glaring weakness. If you have a weakness that can be exploited, it will. Last year, we were strong everywhere. These are the best days to be a Tiger fan! :)

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

And I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Florida was the most penalized team the year they won the NC.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

True

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

In the SEC, by far. They finished the year with over 30 more flags than the 11th (2nd worse) team, Arkansas. Ironically, who did UF face in the SECCG? You guessed it, the 'backs.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Didn't LSU have the best producing offense in school history last year? Interesting that it wasn't even in the Top 10 in any of the four categories, and only in the Top 11-25 in two of the four categories.

Also interesting how four of the Top 10 teams had offenses that weren't in the Top 25 in any of the four categories, while not a single Top 10 team had a defense that wasn't in the Top 25 in anything.

Seems that the clique is true, that defenses win championships.

Bowden pretty much said the same thing when he talked about how important a great defense was, but then said that offense isn't as important, that it just has to be “good but not necessarily great.”

Also, I thought it was interesting how Bowden said that run defense is the most important thing when it comes to winning championships.

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

The longer he stayed, the less I thought of him......

By the time tater tot left AU he made sure each opponent's defense looked like a championship defense against our run.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

yes there is