Texas aTm is Green with Envy

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu_mackey, Feb 8, 2011.

1. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

After posting the thread about the Sooners still hating us I decided to take a stroll over to the texags.com football forums to see if they were still sore after the Cotton Bowl a$$ "whoop"ing we gave them.

Much to my surprise, it was anything but hate or sour grapes...they, in fact, are itching to get in to the SEC. So much that they actually made SECede bumper stickers.

My personal opinion is that I don't want aTm anywhere near the SEC. I have no doubt in my mind that they would be a bottom dweller but their fans are some of the most bandwagon, blind fans I have ever met...this is evidenced by the thread "How many people would buy season tickets if aTm were in the SEC?"

Seriously though, why would the SEC even toy around with the idea of allowing those cultists into our conference? I don't know how much it would matter but I do appreciate the fact that LSU is the closest SEC school to the Houston talent pool.

I can't stand aTm...especially with how close I live to that cesspool of a campus.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

If I was a aTm fan, no way I would want my team in the SEC. They aren't deep enough to take the pounding week in and week out...week after week. They would get drubbed. The only teams that should want to be in the SEC are teams that are built to be in the SEC...and that is who we already have (minus a few).

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Can we get aTm to replace Vandy then? :wave:

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

would being in the sec help them tho? would they bring their stature up some with recruits in texas by being in the better conference with more exposure?

maybe not, but as long as they are in the same conf as texass, they are gonna be the red-headed step child in their state. right now the short horns are sh*tting on the rest of the conference every chance they get with their shenanigans, and no is doing anything to stop em.

5. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Is there anything to suggest that aTm doesn't deserve that moniker? I mean, come on, Alabama and Auburn are in the same state but you don't see either struggling for recruiting or one being more likely to beat the other on any given day.

aTm just does not put up the same type of money for their sports that SEC schools do (despite Vandy)...have you ever been to their stadium? It's no bigger than any other Texas high school stadium and how long do you think their fans will be able to stand, the entire game, in Death Valley until someone gets killed?

It's just not healthy.

6. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Texas AM would probably be above about half of the SEC right now. I mean if they played here this season they would finish around 6 or 7. I think they would win games against both of the Mississippi's, UT, UK, Vanderbilt, and probably match up well against the other 3 in the East. Of course, the East was down this year.

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Of course the Aggies would want to be in the SEC. You can't base it off how a team is this right now. Everything goes in cycles. There was a time when A&M was very good and LSU was a bottom feeder. At the end of the day you want to be in the best conference you can for the long term. Doubt many Miss State fans want to leave the SEC and they haven't won the conf in forever. A&M is the second strongest program in the best football state in the country. They will eventually be a power again. Being in the SEC would only help them do that.

I'm no A&M fan but I like the rivalry. Same as with Auburn, Florida, Alabama, etc. It's a fun team to hate.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think it would help their recruiting alot. There would be tons of Texas kids that could stay in state and play in the SEC. Texas isn't going to let them go, they are Texas' bitch. As long as they play in the same conference A&M really has no shot of getting the best players in Texas, they may score a few, but the majority are going to Texas and OU.

9. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

Which is why it's a lose-lose letting them into the conference.

First, their biggest talking points to recruits will be "Look, you can stay in-state, close to home, and still play in the best conference in the nation."

Right now, LSU is the closest to their talent pool and can make that claim as the nearest SEC school to their home.

Secondly, year in and year out, if LSU beats aTm what will people say? Hey, congrats, you beat a rebuilding team. If aTm beats LSU people will say that they brought down the vaunted LSU.

There is no positive to allowing them to join this conference...you think cowbells are annoying? Wait till you see their "Wrecking Crew" and guy cheerleaders swaying in the stands, swinging towels, and saying "whoop."

It's nauseating.

Besides, we already have a bottom-dweller maroon and white school.

2 people like this.
  10. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

AtM has to have approval by the Texas legislature. That's not going to happen. Texas shorthorns will not let their lil bit-h go. Not now not ever. They can kick and scream and cry till the cows come home. It's not going to happen.