Texas in the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dudley, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Why would anyone leave a big conference to go to another one, especially where they would have to compete with LSU, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, all of which are large schools? Texas should just keep in the same conference where they get to play baylor and rice every year. In the SEC, they would be just another school.

2 people like this.
  2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

This is a great Idea for a thread...it engenders outside the box thought and brings the metaphysical question of just what does the SEC really mean to each of us to the forefront. I can tell you that the answer, to me , means a lot more than geography or potential wins and losses...or recruiting, for that matter

I believe it has more to do with culture and what it means to live in the South... more specifically, what it means to have grown up in the South and what it means to us now as well as what it will mean to our children. It's more about our relationships.

Patriotism and regional pride is defined by our relationship to our land and and to our neighbors and not by economic, educational or political rank. We're Southerners...we're different !!

The SEC should be reserved for those who partake in the unique culture of the deep south.

Texas, as great as it is.....is just plain different...it ain't Southern podnah.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Whatever, but I would really like Texas A & M in the SEC.
    LSU has in the past had a really good rivalry with the Aggies.
    Maybe add A & M to the Western Division and either convince GT to come back in or steal North Carolina or Clemson from the ACC for the Eastern Division.
    That would be nice.
    :eek:ldskule:

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

wtf? i take it that's some good sh*t you've been smokin? :huh:

:hihi:

5. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: :hihi::rofl:

6. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

It's being reported that the university of Texas at Austin has been offered inclusion into the SEC and would participate in the up coming 2010 college football season. It was further reported that Texas would have to compete in the rugged western conference and would play all away games this first year to get a feel of the magnitude of these new rivalries.

The Texas school faculty has asked the student body how such a move into the SEC west would affect their school spirit. As you can see from this recent photo the students were unanimous and adamant in their response.

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

Florida state would be a good fit should anything happen.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

It wasn't the smoke, I've just been reading the dictionary and I finally got to the "M's" :lol:. (Metaphysical refers to the inner essence of something...what it really means.)

It could, however, be a flashback from the 70's days at LSU when I was tripping in Philosophy class ( the history of western thought). :grin:.

9. dudley

dudley oops!

Hold on just a minnit there. Texas would compete very well in the SEC. Football, Basketball and uh..Baseball too. Like I said it aint gonna happen anytime soon, there are a lot of issues, but I predict it will happen. Why? The Big10 conference is looking to add a twelfth team and have a conference championship game. They would like to have Notre Dame but the chances of that hapenning is probably naught. The logical choice is Missouri, now of the Big12. The Big10 is now forming their own network with ESPN like the SEC and the addition of Missouri would add the Saint Louis and Southern Illinois subscriber base to their network. The Pac10 is now talking expanding and forming a network too. The two most likely additions would be Utah and Colorado to add the Salt Lake City and Denver subscriber base. The loss of Missouri and Colorado would leave the Big12 in a shambles. How does Texas play into this? With a population of 25 million and the most Fortune 500 companies of any other state Texas is a plum for any conference. Big10 for Texas? NO! Pac10? Maybe but probably not.

SEC? Would the SEC like to add all that TV revenue? Would Texas be willing to participate in the combined revenue?

Lots of issues and like I said not anytime soon but I predict It'll happen

10. acemic

acemic Founding Member

well this is easy to do ill predict that oil will reach 300 dollars a barrel. will be tough but thats my prediction 300 dollars a Barrel (yes us dollars)I just dont know when it will happen. any thing can happen in time.