That game was GARBAGE!!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ScottyB28, Apr 3, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No Scotty, there is no problem with LSU baseball. I love being called damn smart though, so thanks. The only problem is with fans who believe that LSU has an unalienable right to be the best baseball program in the country even though we lost the best college baseball coach of all time. Did anyone ever think we would replace Skip with Skip? There are no other Bertman's out there. A guy who saw the handwriting on the wall and got out of the game at the perfect time. A guy who was pretty much the only coach in his sport who saw the way technology was going to effect the game and recruited big bashers that swept the game into a new era. And who also saw that the new bat rules were going to effect the game and that every program in the southeast, especially the SEC, were now spending more on facilites, coaching and recruiting and determined that 2000 would be the perfect time to end his reign.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Yes, Skip Bertman was the best college coach in baseball history IMO. Better than Dedeaux at USC simply because of the better competition in Skip's day. And now the competition is twice what it was just a few short years ago. Of course, many fans don't want to look at the facts, that all of our competition are putting resources into baseball that they never dreamed of doing a decade ago. LSU now has probably the second worse baseball facilites in the SEC except for the size of the ball park. The other schools have better training and practice facilites with an emphasis on new indoor workout facilites. Palers look at the new indoor facilites and see they can work out in a great environment during the cold months and that entices them to no end.

Schools that spent about $5,000 a year on recruiting now have budgets exceeding $50,000. That schools in the Big 12, ACC and some other individual programs are also following suit.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you and I have discussed this and agree hebert should not play. sorry but thats my conclusion after watching him the last couple of years. smoke using this lefty righty crap instead of the best players is my pet peeve. with any coach for that matter. drives me nuts.

HOLLANDER HAS TO STAY AT LEADOFF. he is more comfortable there and it shows on the field as well.

MOVE SPROWL TO 9. see i can scream too.

gill 3rd, harris 1b, mike ss.

by the way, every team skip ever fielded is probably as bad or worse fundamentally than any smoke has. also they've all looked as bad or worse than this at one point in the season.

the biggest worry is giving away 2 sunday games in a row usually costs you in the end. LSU was good enough and had both game but failed to execute.

ramirez was a pleasant surprise. though dont jump on the bandwagon as everyone will. bama hits about .190 in the SEC. we will learn more as he faces better hitters.

the one thing we do know is he was composed in a pressure situation. he has, at least in his first test, shown he has the mental makeup to handle being an SEC pitcher.

possibly to spell determan before his arm falls off.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Cajdav,

I am enjoying your posts and I appreciate your attitude - you obviously know the game well.

My only problem is that I can't possibly believe the statement above - if this were indeed true, they would never get any BP in.

I can bunt better with my ding dong than some of these kids can with a bat...

5. u r tigerbait22

u r tigerbait22 Founding Member

what on gods green earth makes u think derek should never play again?...he played pretty good defense and hit a double that could have scored us a run if we would have converted (in xtra innings)...he shouldn't start every day, but he's still a heckuva ball player...gill needs to stay at 3rd, mayer and will need to swap at first...i agree that clay needs to move to fri. starter, lane on saturday, and greg on sunday...Cahill has sum serious stuff and Ramirez, Determann, and Faircloth are great out of the pen...also give dardar a little more work (impressive to close the deal on UNO who was not playing like a slouch that night):lsup: :tigbas: LSU!

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The question becomes, how can you fire a coach who's team is at the top 10 (since top 5 is only out of respect)? What coach wants to come to a school that fires a coach who consistently takes his team to the CWS?

The answer isn't a new coach. I don't think Smoke is perfect and he could definitely improve, but replacing him isn't an option. LSU's best option would probably be to have Skip talk with him & help him with a few things he's lacking and also to make sure he's bringing in top-caliber assistants.

Outside of that, there's nothing LSU or we the fans can do.

7. u r tigerbait22

u r tigerbait22 Founding Member

thats right cparso, but isn't turtle considered to be a top assistant?...autery and weiderhold aren't that bad either

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

They are all good. I'm just saying outside of those 2 things there's not much anybody can do. I'm sure Skip talks with Smoke about baseball as well. I think LSU is doing all it can to allow baseball to be at the top.

9. Dutchtown tiger

Dutchtown tiger Founding Member

We should not be batting as a team .257 that is pathetic. This week is the most important week of the regular season with rice on Wed and S. Car. this weekend. We have to win 4 out of 5 to put us back in the running for a possible s. regional. If we can't, this season will be the inevitable disapointment.

10. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Im another one to say that Derek Hebert should never see the field again. Nothing against the kid but he is not that good of a baseball player. In the field he is full of errors and at the plate he just gets up there and swings. And it is a terrible swing at that. We also need to take Dustin Weaver out of the lineup, yes he hit a homerun but he is not that good of a hitter. We can replace him with Padron, Stewart, Mayer or Brian Harris. Oh and another thing, Bruce Sprowl is not a leadoff hitter.