That Shreve-Times Guy: RS being moved to WR

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

No it's not. True freshmen QBs play all over the NCAA. It's not the norm, but it's commonplace enough not to be "unrealistic".

Shep got a shot at QB because Les Miles promised him he'd get a shot at QB. He didn't pick it up enough in practice to be trusted in games to throw (and Lord knows the offense was bad enough that he'd have gotten his shot if he'd been good enough).

One reason Miles recruits so well is that he follows through - with Perrilloux among others. And now with Shepard. Love him, hate him - Miles has actual integrity. Not commonplace in a man at his level of his game, IMO.

I bet we see something similar with Fobbs over the next few years. He gets his shot at WR, as promised. If he lights it up, fine. But there's a lot of talent there, and more coming in next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at CB, as the coaching staff intended, after he gets a real shot at WR.

2. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

I just wonder how did he take it because he could've went to Texas to be a WR and was suppose to actually get a shot at LSU. He should be a great WR though.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It's unrealistic to expect a third or half of his snaps to be pass plays as a true freshman. Shepard never had a single one. Not one. That goes beyond simply being a true freshman, it suggests that the rumors about the coaches not being thrilled with his passing ability have a lot of truth to them.

Ah, but you assume that there actually was an offensive plan in place last season. The stats would argue otherwise. And as little as he saw the field in 2009, not only have you wasted time practicing at QB, but also a year of eligibility that could have been spent grooming him for a WR role. But hindsight is 20/20 and that's all water under the bridge, and now's the time to make the move. I thought Shep also made it clear from the beginning that if the coaches felt it would be best to use him at WR he'd have no problem with it, so I don't know if it's as big of a feat by the coaches as you say.

4. clair

clair Rockets

the kid was barely a +50% passer in HIGH SCHOOL.

I said from when he was signed that I didn't think he would ever be a college QB -- at least not a good one, anyway.

He just is not an accurate passer. Nothing against the kid, but he is a skill player.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

RS has said from the moment he decided on LSU he didn't really care where or how he was used as long as he got to play. As fans this is great news we've all been looking for Miles to figure out how to use his explosive talents, and now he has.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah im ecstatic les is going to use him much like percy harvin.

i have more faith in the next stimulus package. the best possibility for that was if he put him at RB where he would be forced to get touches. not so much now.

lafell couldnt even get but a couple touches a game. how the hell is RS going to get balls thrown to him. hes small and JJ isnt exactly drew brees.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

yeah but you have to remember that JJ was one of the most efficient passers in the SEC last season, primarily because they didn't throw the ball downfield, but i don't think there will be a problem with designing plays to get Shep the ball, we still have those inside screens, and out routes, and the comebacks that they like to run.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i guess. les is going to have to take the lead of this team. not just depend on his coaches on gameday. if he understands the urgency of the situation we might be ok. if its the same lost les it doesnt matter who he puts where.

9. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: I'm for whatever it takes to get Shep in the game on just about every offensive snap. I like this move. Shep has proven he can catch the ball and with his running skills he'll get the yards after catch. And if they use him on offense in some Percy Harvin type role, that's great too. Just get him involved in game. If he wasn't going to work out as a QB then this is a great option for both Shep and the team.:thumb: :LSU231:

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

This is not big news to anyone who knows college football. It was predicted by many here form the get go. In my opinion, this is a good thing for LSU AND for RS!

One question, is he really 6' 1" ? Doesn't appear to be that tall to me but I could be wrong.