The :01 Remaining Scenario Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

FG kick wins the game for yet another miracle finish

2. DisplacedLSUFan

DisplacedLSUFan Veteran Member

The one thing that you do not do in the :01 second scenario is spike the ball. I know that there were many things leading up to that final second of complete failure that could have helped us not be in that situation, but we were still there with a chance with :01 left on the clock.

3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Yep, the issue is not :01 second, it is the preceding minute or so. That is the inexcusable meltdown.

How about this. Don't go with the Hail Mary. Go shorter, 1st down of course, out of bounds and set up for field goal. Did not have to take long throw and long time.

1 person likes this.
  4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

no doubt that they should have run a play. after the coaches, i blame lafell for not calling a play, and then jj. it is clear that the players are wet noodles with no brains or balls (probably the latter). coach tells you to spike it with one sec left, you dont do it. product of the meerkat.

5. outsider2009

outsider2009 Freshman

I am a college football and SEC fan and live in SEC country but graduated form a non SEC school so I am pretty unbiased here. Anybody that apologizes for any aspect of that fiasco is crazy. That was the worse piece of college football coaching I have ever seen. My grandmother could have done better and she has been dead since 1988. Of course, once you are in a very legit field goal range, run the ball 3 times and take your chances on a kick, not run consecutive, slow developing, high risk plays looking to gain long yardage. Of course call a time out in the mid-20's instead of waiting until 9 seconds. Of course, during the timeout before the next to the last play, prepare for the field goal team to be ready or have another play ready. Teams run out their field goal team all the time w/o having a time out. Granted, the 1 second left is problematic. (As an aside, is not the time on the clock reviewable? If so, LSU could have agitated for that and gained some time to get some kind of order in place). Even at least get out there and run a play. As the idiot coach said in his interview, they did not have time to ground the ball. Well, why was that the play he tried to run? Truly asinine. I do not get to use that word very often but maybe I will start following LSU more closely and it appears I will have many chances.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The bozo plays were the three passes after we had the ball 1st and ten on the 30. That 1 second on the clock left us no time to get a play off, but if we don't get into the endzone we need to have the field goal unit ready to run on. There was no contingency plan.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i agree, we should have run the ball from the 30, and we wouldn't have been talking about the .01 left. But since we are, lets say Miles took the timeout with the .26 left on the play clock. I honestly believe you would have never seen the hail mary, you would have seen a crossing route attempted short of the first down with the receiver's responsibility to pick up the first, then a spike because it wouldn't have taken 26 seconds, so who knows. However when the time out was taken, they call the hail mary, they should have also talked about the scenario, in the time out. The FG unit should have been ready to go, and if not, they should have known that .01 is not enough time to clock it, and to at least snap the ball and run a play.

Point is, none of this crap should have happened because we should have never been calling pass plays when we were in FG range, Supafan is absolutely correct.

8. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Definitely agree. The thing is, Miles said they talked about running plays, but apparently he deferred to Crowton. The question is why? This is basic Football 101. You're on the 30 driving toward a potential game winning FG. Why get fancy? Seems to me that was the time for Miles to overrule the OC. I don't get it...

:geauxtige

9. unpredictable71

unpredictable71 Freshman

This is true! It would take too much time to transition players off and bring the kicker onto the field set up for the field goal and then snap the ball to kick it. That process can't be done in 1 second. It doesn't take the chain gang that long to move the chains by the time they set that one second is gone. What I have a problem with is the lack of communication on the sideline after the screen play. YOU CANNOT ASSUME THE TIME out will be called you have to call it! LES MILES is not SEC material. The wheels are now falling off.

10. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

well the thing is whether we tried for the FG or the TD with :01 left i don't think the ole miss clock operator lets us get that play off.
    but spiking it is just dumb.

if i'm coaching, and there is :03 or more i run my FG team. any less than that then we try a quick snap and go for the TD.

probably wouldn't have either made the play or gotten it off either way but spiking it is not an option with :01.

i think what this game did was show everyone's true feelings for les miles.

those that wanted him gone are louder than ever now with this ammo.

those that defend him steadfastly are much quieter.

and there are people like me who have tried to defend him over and over and now are finding there is more evidence against me than for me.

i think there is a big sect of LSU fans that on the outside defend les as much as possible but on the inside know he is capable of such coaching breakdowns and feared a day like this would come.

i really didn't think a game like this (with the west already decided) would draw such ire from the fan base but it is.

even though his contracts ends in 2011 i think this game (no matter what happens in arky and the bowl game) erased his 2011 season. miles MUST deliver in 2010 or i think the grumbling will be too loud and i don't think alleva is the kind of guy to hang on to anyone if he doesn't like the direction of the program (i.e. a john brady situation).

miles isn't going anywhere this year i think this game will prove to be like the arky game last year in that it was the point of no return for the co DC's. i think crowton is now gone.